Lounger
    Thanks

Can I copy Windows 8.1 setup from one user to another on the same computer??

After spending a few hours with Lincoln Spector's great article on setting up a Windows 8.1 PC, but getting ahead of him in a few places, I found that I personalized my husband's online account, before I set up the local account as Lincoln recommended. So, the online account has his browser set up with the home pages he wants, has a bunch of shortcuts on it, etc., that I see I really wanted on the local account, which I have set up to not require logging in.

Is there a way to transfer these (what are they, settings, personalizations, whatever they are) to the local account, or do I need to re-create them? For example, do I need to download Classic Shell again? Tell the browser(s) (two, because I'm hoping to move him from IE to Chrome) which are the home pages? Select the files again and make shortcuts? Or can I just either link the two user's desktops, either a one-time thing or permanently?

Thank you very much for any advice.

Thanks
    Your safest bet is to re-create your (his) settings and preferences within the local account. There are ways to import/export those things across accounts, but it isn't simple.
    Create a new drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"Let them that don't want it have memories of not gettin' any." "Gratitude is riches and complaint is poverty and the worst I ever had was wonderful." Brother Dave Gardner "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else." Sir Thomas Robert Deware. "The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Do you understand?" Captain Jack Sparrow.
    Unleash Windows

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    You can rename your husbands account with the name you want for your account, and create a new account for your husband.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Prescott View Post
    You can rename your husbands account with the name you want for your account, and create a new account for your husband.
    That won't change it from an online (Microsoft) account to a local account.

I don't use a Microsoft account at all, just local accounts. I have a Microsoft logon that I can use if I want to get something from the App store (not so much), but one does not have to logon the PC using a Microsoft account in order to do that. I have a standard user local account that I use primarily, and an Administrators group local account that I use for maintenance and UAC. I don't have a Microsoft account on the PC at all.

There is an option in PC Settings to change a local account into a Microsoft account, but I haven't seen whether a Microsoft account can be changed into a local account. But duplicating settings and preferences between two types of accounts (the question in the OP) isn't a simple process.
    Create a new drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"Let them that don't want it have memories of not gettin' any." "Gratitude is riches and complaint is poverty and the worst I ever had was wonderful." Brother Dave Gardner "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else." Sir Thomas Robert Deware. "The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Do you understand?" Captain Jack Sparrow.
    Unleash Windows

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Just converting from a Microsoft account to a local account should leave most things intact, just the user name and password changed for me desktop-wise. Any apps you use requiring sign in will be affected of course; instead of being automatic with a MS account you'll be prompted to sign in first. I didn't pay attention to see what happened to One Drive integration.

Thanks
    FUN is correct. I changed my Microsoft account to a local account and everything stayed the same except you lose One Drive integration. No need to reload Classic Shell.
    To change to a local account, see:
    http://www.techrepublic.com/blog/win...n-windows-81/#.

Jerry

Thanks
    The following is what I perceive to be the main question posed in the OP:
    Quote Originally Posted by Judy M View Post
    Is there a way to transfer these (what are they, settings, personalizations, whatever they are) to the local account, or do I need to re-create them?
    I am not aware of a simple way of accomplishing the duplication of settings/preferences from one account to a separate, different account of a different type without re-creating them in the second account type.

Unleash Windows

Thanks
    Again, if you just change from a Microsoft account to a local account which is what the OP wants to do, all your personalizations and installed programs remain

Jerry

Thanks
    So, the online account has his browser set up with the home pages he wants, has a bunch of shortcuts on it, etc., that I see I really wanted on the local account, which I have set up to not require logging in.
    If the only reason to switch to a local account is automatic login, the same steps you used to auto login the local account can be followed to auto login to a Microsoft account.

Jerry
    Last edited by jwitalka; 2014-05-20 at 10:42.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Judy M View Post
    Is there a way to transfer these (what are they, settings, personalizations, whatever they are) to the local account, or do I need to re-create them? For example, do I need to download Classic Shell again? Tell the browser(s) (two, because I'm hoping to move him from IE to Chrome) which are the home pages? Select the files again and make shortcuts? Or can I just either link the two user's desktops, either a one-time thing or permanently?

Thank you very much for any advice.
    I think all you need is to create another local account in your PC and then copy the user profile of your husband's account into the account you created.

More information of the procedure is provided here: Customize the Default User Profile by Using CopyProfile

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Frozwire View Post
    I think all you need is to create another local account in your PC and then copy the user profile of your husband's account into the account you created.

More information of the procedure is provided here: Customize the Default User Profile by Using CopyProfile
    Like I said,
    Quote Originally Posted by bbearren View Post
    Your safest bet is to re-create your (his) settings and preferences within the local account. There are ways to import/export those things across accounts, but it isn't simple.

Unleash Windows

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Ya, if one creates a new account to transfer to it will be more difficult. Microsoft to local account is a conversion of the same account, even though a new username and password are determined and as such, not nearly as difficult.

So it depends on which is the target of the task at hand.