Star Lounger
    Thanks

Using broadband at a hotel

I am about to take my new laptop to a hotel that features a broadband connection that is "wired." Now am I correct that I must have with me a special wire to physically connect the laptop to a connection in the room? If so, what kind of cable would I ask for at a store?

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi fbob6969,

You need a standard 'LAN network cable' also known as an RJ45 cable. (RJ45 refers to the hard plastic connectors at both ends of the cable.)
    rj45.jpg

The colour of the RJ45 LAN network cable's covering doesn't matter but if someone asks 'what cat?', just ask for CAT5e and make sure it isn't an 'RJ45 crossover cable'.

Hope this helps...
    Last edited by Rick Corbett; 2014-05-15 at 17:22.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Rick Corbett For This Useful Post:

fbob6969 (2014-05-15)

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thank you!

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    My pleasure.

Just in case... what specific new laptop (make/model) do you have so we can check whether it has a standard RJ45 LAN network port built-in or whether it comes with a "USB to LAN/VGA" adapter (like some of the recent Acer models do).

Hope this helps...

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks
    When using a public network - all hotel networks are public - you should take some care with what you sites you visit and logon as it is possible to collect user IDs from non-secure connections. If you have a local email program, Live Mail, Thunderbird etc, you should connect to your mail server using secure ports. If you use a web site, make sure it uses "https" / SSL connection - Windows Secrets for example, does not use an SSL connection, but your bank site will.
    You should also have Windows firewall or third party firewall turned on.

cheers, Paul

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,167 Times in 1,071 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul T View Post
    When using a public network - all hotel networks are public - you should take some care with what you sites you visit and logon as it is possible to collect user IDs from non-secure connections. If you have a local email program, Live Mail, Thunderbird etc, you should connect to your mail server using secure ports. If you use a web site, make sure it uses "https" / SSL connection - Windows Secrets for example, does not use an SSL connection, but your bank site will.
    You should also have Windows firewall or third party firewall turned on.

cheers, Paul
    And adding to Paul's advice, the best option would be to use a VPN, so that all communication is encrypted, and thus safe from any eavesdropping that may occur while using the hotel network. There are free VPN clients that can be of use.
    Rui
    -------
    R4