Thanks

Multiple Word 2010 windows?

If I have Word open, and click the Word icon, a new instance of Word opens. It seems from what I have read that this is by design.

Isn't there a Word switch that works like the "/recycle" switch for Outlook, where it just pops up the already open instance?

Regards,
    Chuck Billow
    -------------------------------------------------
    "Good judgment comes from experience, and experience - well, that comes from poor judgment."

~ A(lan) A(lexander) Milne (1882-1956)- "House at Pooh Corner"

2. Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    What "Word icon" are you referring to? In Windows 7, the Word icon on he task bar will activate/minimize a single Word document. If you have multiple Word documents open, you may indicate which document you want to activate or minimize. What you are doing probably does not open a new instance of Word; it's a new Word document, i.e. the multiple document interface. If you have a Word shortcut (also an icon), clicking that will likely open a new Word document. It sounds like you want to be using the icon on the Windows task bar.

Thanks
    Richard, yes, I am clicking the "regular" icon, not the task bar icon. Although you are obviously correct that clicking the taskbar will bring up the running instance of Word, I guess I was looking for, as in Outlook, a way to set up the icon so that multiple instances would "never" happen.

Oh well...thanks.

Regards,
    Chuck
    "Good judgment comes from experience, and experience - well, that comes from poor judgment."

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Go to File>Options>Advanced and scroll down to Display. Clear "Show All Windows in the Taskbar". I think that's what you're looking for.

Thanks
    Thanks Richard.

Regards,
    Chuck Billow

Thanks
    Word 2010 is notorious for having multiple windows. I don't know if this will help or not, but for what it's worth... If you use shortcut CTRL W, it will close the active window but leave the program open.

Thanks
    Every little bit helps!

Chuck