4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Malicious Software Removal Tool

I ran the Malicious Software Removal Tool recently. I was not having a problem, but it's there, it doesn't cost anything, and there could always be something hiding, waiting for some trigger to spring.

I selected Full Scan, and started it Tuesday morning at about 8:30. I expected it to take about as long as a Microsoft Security Essentials scan, maybe about 4 hours, but at 6:00 pm, which is when I usually shut down my computer, the Malicious Software Removal Tool scan was still running. just before midnight, I checked it again, and it was still running. I turned off the monitors and went to bed, but the progress bar looked like it was 60% to 70% done. It was done when I checked it again about 8:00 am Wednesday morning, but it really ran a long time.

It did not find any files that it identified as malicious software.

I have run Malicious Software Removal Tool before, although not recently, but I don't remember whether I accepted the default, which is Quick Scan, or if I selected Full Scan. In any case if it had taken that long to run, I think I would have remembered that.

Has anyone else used Malicious Software Removal Tool in Full Scan recently? Did it take a long time to complete?

My C: partition has about 290GB, my D: partition has about 250GB, and my F: partition has about 72GB.

2. Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    I think it would depend upon how much you have in those drives.

This laptop has a 640GB HDD spilt into C: and D: which is the Recovery partition with nothing else in that and overall, only ~61GB used.

As I have another laptop, I'll run a full MRT on this one and get back to you.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I thought this tool downloaded and ran once automatically in the background and only showed if it detected something. I didn't know you could run it manually.
    Joe

Administrator
    Thanks
    @JoeS,

It is just a program which is installed and updated like other Windows components. You can find it at C:\Windows\System32\MRT.EXE.

Joe

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe S View Post
    I thought this tool downloaded and ran once automatically in the background and only showed if it detected something. I didn't know you could run it manually.
    Joe
    If you ever want to run it manually, just go Start - type mrt.exe and press Enter.

It gives you 3 options - Quick, Full and a file scan.

The full scan on the other laptop has been running for just over 1.25hrs and the green progress bar is only about three quarters of an inch so far - so it looks like that has a good few hours to run as well.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for explaining about it.
    Joe

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Prescott View Post
    I ran the Malicious Software Removal Tool recently. I was not having a problem, but it's there, it doesn't cost anything, and there could always be something hiding, waiting for some trigger to spring.

I selected Full Scan, and started it Tuesday morning at about 8:30. I expected it to take about as long as a Microsoft Security Essentials scan, maybe about 4 hours, but at 6:00 pm, which is when I usually shut down my computer, the Malicious Software Removal Tool scan was still running. just before midnight, I checked it again, and it was still running. I turned off the monitors and went to bed, but the progress bar looked like it was 60% to 70% done. It was done when I checked it again about 8:00 am Wednesday morning, but it really ran a long time.

It did not find any files that it identified as malicious software.

I have run Malicious Software Removal Tool before, although not recently, but I don't remember whether I accepted the default, which is Quick Scan, or if I selected Full Scan. In any case if it had taken that long to run, I think I would have remembered that.

Has anyone else used Malicious Software Removal Tool in Full Scan recently? Did it take a long time to complete?

My C: partition has about 290GB, my D: partition has about 250GB, and my F: partition has about 72GB.
    While I wasn't there at its completion, it was on 3hrs 36mins with the green progress bar about half way when I left it and when I went back about an hour later, it had completed.

While you may have more installed on your computer than I have on mine, the time it took on yours does seem excessive compared to mine, although I've heard of a chkdsk /r taking "forever and a day" to complete.

Just to check that everything is okay with your system, open a command prompt as an administrator and run a chkdsk

This is a read-only mode when used without any parameters but will tell you if any further action is required for the files - but pay particular attention to the number of KBs it reports for bad sectors - should be 0 KB.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Sudo15 View Post
    I think it would depend upon how much you have in those drives.

This laptop has a 640GB HDD spilt into C: and D: which is the Recovery partition with nothing else in that and overall, only ~61GB used.

As I have another laptop, I'll run a full MRT on this one and get back to you.
    Going back and rereading what I wrote, I see that I didn't make it clear. Those three partitions are on a 1TB drive. The numbers are the amount of data in each partition, not the partition sizes.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Then it probably would take quite a while, but a chkdsk still wouldn't hurt.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Wouldn't it be better to use something reliable like MBAM? I don't know about the reliability of Malicious Software Removal Tool in comparison to other programs but MS Security Essentials frequently rates at the bottom of the heap when compared to other AV programs.
    Joe

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe S View Post
    Wouldn't it be better to use something reliable like MBAM? I don't know about the reliability of Malicious Software Removal Tool in comparison to other programs but MS Security Essentials frequently rates at the bottom of the heap when compared to other AV programs.
    Joe
    Yes, I would rely more on something like MBAM as MSRT tends to go for the more prevalent ones and while I don't recognize any of those listed, those more used to dealing with Viruses/Trojans/Worms and Malware will be more informed http://www.microsoft.com/security/pc...-families.aspx

Administrator
    Thanks
    MRT.exe is SPECIFICALLY targeted at the most common, prevalent malware. It is NOT intended to be a general AV product. It was initially released as a tool which Microsoft could run every month because there were many systems in 2005 which did not run an AV product.

You should definitely have a general AV product with which you are comfortable.

Joe