Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

Outline with a few twists (Word 2000 or 2002)

I had such great success here re a solution to my last problem, let's try this one on for size. Outline styles in Word have always been a nightmare. I have another nightmare.

Need an outline style that:
    1. Centers the 1st level: ARTICLE 1
    2. Immediately under the 1st level article reference I need the user to be able to type a few words (also centered).
    3. Level 2 is Section x.y.z in the left margin.

Natch, ARTICLE 2 would be centered again with the ability to type centered text under it, etc., etc.

It's been beating me down for two days.

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Re: Outline with a few twists (Word 2000 or 2002)

We have the same numbering in one of our templates, and the centered text that needs to go under ARTICLE I is really part of the Article 1 heading - we just tell users to apply the Article I numbered style, then use a manual line break aka Shift+Return and type the text there. By setting line spacing appropriately for that style, you can get whatever distance between lines that is required.

Then the Article I style is set up to produce a next paragraph with style Section 1.

Not totally automated but it works well and the users have no problem with it....

Gary

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

If I have the ARTICLE n centered, how do I get the Section line to be in the left margin? It seems that centering applies to the entire STYLE.

Super Moderator
    Thanks

'Fraid you've lost me here:

The Article I and its continuation line are a single paragraph, which is set to centered.
    The Section line is a separate paragraph, which follows the Article I paragraph - so it is set to align left or justify.

See attached sample.

Gary
    Attached Files Attached Files

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

So, what I think I see you've done is create TWO styles. I thought I would be able to do it in ONE style with the various levels. Apparently not, eh?

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

It's stil driving me up a wall.

I need something close to what you've done, but not exactly...and can't create the little twist.

Let me reexplain what I've done and need.

(thanks for your willingness to bear with this)

I created an Article style that is all caps and centered. That's fine. But I don't want the centered next line to be all caps...so a CTRL+enter won't work for me. Should I create a new style that is simply centered text? Come out of the article style into that one and out of the centered style to the section style? If this is the case, it seems I need three styles at play here. Is that right?

Super Moderator
    Thanks

No, you still only need two styles.

Per your first note, yes, you need one style for each level. That's always how it works - you have to have a different style for each outline numbering level.

As far as getting the centered next line after "ARTICLE" to not be all caps, that should be no problem too: in the Customize Outline Numbered List dialog where you define the outline numbering format, simply type "ARTICLE" just before the gray numbering field - that way, both the word "ARTICLE" and the actual number, are both produced as part of the autonumber - (and you therefore do not need to define the font property for the actual underlying paragraph style to be All Caps).

Then back in your document, you should simply be able to type text on the following line as normal.

Gives this a try and post back....

Gary

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Hi again,

Another cause for the problem you're getting, might have to do with the way you're setting up the styles, before you link them to the outline numbering levels - have a look at the info in <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.wopr.com/cgi-bin/w3t/showthreaded.pl?Cat=&Board=wrd&Number=76976&Search =true&Forum=wrd&Words=&Match=StarPost&Searchpage=0 &Limit=10&Old=allposts&Main=76928>this post</A> - in case it might have any relevance here.

Gary