New Lounger
    Thanks

Multiple WiFi Router advice

Dear All,
    My house is spread over 3 levels, and has a lot of metal in the floor construction.
    Because of this, I use 3 WiFi routers to provide good signal throughout the house.
    They all have the same SSid, but operate on different channels.
    Is this the best solution for connectivity?
    Should I put all on the same channel?
    Should I use different SSid as well?
    Any advice welcome, as I frequently have problems when walking through the house from floor to floor with mobiles and tablets disconnecting, or losing a good signal.
    Cheers,
    D.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    If there's that much metal in the floor construction, then you probably would end up walking through blank spots and I'm not sure if Home Plugs using the electrical wiring would fare any better.

As for the best channel to use, check each router out with inSSIDer - using the Link Score to determine the best channel to use.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Sudo15 For This Useful Post:

Donchik (2014-05-17)

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks
    Using 3 independent routers means you will always lose connection moving between routers. The solution is multiple access points controlled by a master, then your device moves seamlessly between APs - this tends not to be cheap.
    Wireless controller
    WAP

cheers, Paul

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Paul T For This Useful Post:

Donchik (2014-05-17)

Thanks
    The routers should use different channels to minimize the chance of interfering with each other. Also, you should use different SSIDs so you are sure you are connecting to the right one. Instructions for setting up multiple routers can be found here:
    http://compnetworking.about.com/od/r...me-network.htm

Jerry

7. The Following User Says Thank You to jwitalka For This Useful Post:

Donchik (2014-05-17)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi Sudo, Many thanks, I've not seen that specific software. I've used other types, and have strong signal strength throughout the house. Walls not that tough

Paul, Again thanks, but I'm not looking to go down the route of a full commercial setup, however I did find the Wireless controller interesting.

Jerry, Thanks for the link, its very interesting, but does not seem to recommend using the same or different SSiDs. Did I miss that?

My setup uses 3 identical Sumvision SVW 307R routers configured as AP's and hard wired into the main house switch.

Currently channel numbers are 1,6, & 11 on floors G, 1, & 2 respectively (1,2,& 3 for our US friends)

I can adjust the SSiD for each to be Floor G/1/2 or something similar, but will the devices switch seamlessly to the most powerful signal? My suspicion at present is that with the same SSiD the devices remain locked onto the initial signal even when a superior signal is available. I note they support both Major and Minor SSid. No idea how to use this, but would the minor SSiD be suitable for differentiating between each AP?

For everyone, thanks for the ideas, and any other advise always welcome.

Thanks
    I added the multiple SSD advice so you know which router you are connecting to. It's not in the article as you observed.

Jerry

New Lounger
    Thanks
    OK, Cheers,

BTW: Do you think the "Minor SSiD" is of any use in this case?

D.

Thanks
    I don't think so. The purpose of a minor SSID is to create a second segregated network. An example would be a guest network where you wanted to provide internet access without network access to the local PCs.

Jerry

12. The Following User Says Thank You to jwitalka For This Useful Post:

Donchik (2014-05-18)

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I seem to be plagued by WiFi dropouts too. Connected to my fibre broadband is the primary router, I have a second router, configured to act only as a switch, and two powerline extenders, with the master powerline box hardwired to the primary router. I have the same SSID, they all broadcast on the same (fixed) channel, and I use the same password, thinking that, when moving around the house, my devices should connect to the best available source. I checked which channels were not being used by my neighbours; Channel 6 appeared best.

If I read the advice above, I should perhaps be using four separate SSIDs (router 1, router 2, router 3, and so on), broadcasting on four different channels. Is that a correct interpretation of what I have read? Am I creating my own inter-channel interference by setting all the devices to Channel 6? Could I leave all the routers (and extenders) with the same SSID, but fix them on non-overlapping channels, and would that be better than having them on the same channel? Or, would I be better to leave the channel unfixed, on Auto?

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks
    The "correct" method seems to be a common SSID and password, and different channels. Try it with the channel set to Auto. If that is no good try manual channel selection.

cheers, Paul

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Paul T For This Useful Post:

JohnFleming (2014-05-26)