Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Ah, Drew: I see that you weighed in again to set up some of your usual straw men late enough that I was no longer tracking this thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Drew1903 View Post
    To (try to) say Win8 is as much a catastrophe as Vista is a silly statement that doesn't even begin to make any grounded sense or have any meaning.
    Of course it has meaning and sense, Drew: you just don't happen to like hearing it. That said, even I don't think that Win 8 is QUITE as much as catastrophe as Vista was, but hearing you admit that Vista WAS indeed a catastrophe at least represents a start on your part (a start which if you examined it objectively might give you some insight into why another system which you consider unjustly maligned has had such similar problems gaining a foothold in the marketplace).

Personally, I had no trouble w/ Vista nor was it inherently bad. Many of us know Vista got a bad rap but, it was mostly the fault of 3rd party vendors & manufacturers for not being up to speed by the time Vista was released. Ergo, things didn't work on it and, of course, people blamed the innocent OS. Bashing Vista doesn't hold water nor does bashing Windows 8.
    But there's that straw-man problem you so often have, Drew. I bashed neither Vista nor Win 8 (though both represented major mistakes by Microsoft in terms of both packaging and roll-out and paid a heavy price for them): I merely observed that in both cases their market penetration (you know: the metric that actually demonstrates what people in the aggregate think of them regardless of what you or I may) was, to be as charitable as I can possibly be, extremely disappointing.

I'm afraid that your by-now-completely-predictable rant then veered even farther away from anything I had said - a veritable horde of straw men so irrelevant that they don't even warrant specifically addressing. The facts are clear: Win 8 was a disaster (leaving aside quibbles about whether it was quite as bad a one as Vista was) in the marketplace to the extent that highly-placed heads rolled at Microsoft and Win 8.1, its Update 1, and reports about what later updates and/or Win 9 will be like all represent aggressive back-pedaling to try to make amends. No one is asking you to like that, just to stop burying your head in the sand and frenetically denying it.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Bill

Of course it has meaning and sense, Drew: you just don't happen to like hearing it. That said, even I don't think that Win 8 is QUITE as much as catastrophe as Vista was, but hearing you admit that Vista WAS indeed a catastrophe at least represents a start on your part
    Don't get me wrong, I don't like Vista, and the original release was truly a catastrophe, but as bad as Windows 8? What are you smoking? And after Service Pack 2, Vista really wasn't that bad. My wife has a net book with Vista SP2, which she only uses once a year while traveling, and while she very much prefers Windows 7, it's okay to use once a year for two weeks.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,145 Times in 1,054 Posts
    Sorry guys, this topic is about issues with Windows Update. Please stay on topic. From now on, we won't approve anything that's not related to Windows Update.
    Rui
    -------
    R4

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12