Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    New Lounger
    Thanks

Sharing printers from Win 7 64 bit system with win XP (SP3) 32 bit systems

OK, I have been assigned to help set up numerous small LANS using a Win 7 64 bit pro system as a file/print share server (not optimum, but doable) with between 1 and 7 other win XP (32 bit) Pro systems.

I have been having problems getting the 32 bit "additional Drivers" (x86) (see first attached screen shot)
    Additional_Drivers.jpg
    to load on the Win 7 system so that the Win XP systems can atach to them, esxpecially when it is for the 'generic' HP drivers that are supposed to be included with Win 7. When I attempt to install these drivers I get prompted for a file path.

File_Location.jpg

I have been sucessfull in installing a few of the Brother and Canon drivers for these machines as they have their own downloads for the win32 bit systems, but HP apparently has these 'built in' to Win 7.

Any ideas on how to get these drivers installed properly?
    Last edited by Phraedrique; 2011-07-27 at 10:36.

Thanks
    Phraedrique, Welcome to the Lounge.

A couple of things, Your screen shots are actually covering parts of your words. It might be helpful to see the model numbers of the printers in question.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Administrator
    Thanks
    Have you checked the HP site for XP drivers?

Joe

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    HP has done a horrible job of supporting printers in Win7. We've had to look for common compatible drivers, for example, we use an HP 2200 PCL 5 driver for LJ 4100s and 2300s.

With that small number of PCs in each location, I'm curious why you want to use a central print server? Is straight IP printing from each workstation not feasible due to a software limitation?
    Chuck

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Sorry about the pictures covering text up there... it really didn't cover much of interest anyway as I had not put in any specific model numbers. As for the specific model numbers:
    HP Deskjet 6940
    HP Laserjet P2015
    HP Laserjet P1006
    HP Deskjet 5650C
    HP Laserjet P2035
    Dell 1130 Laser Printer
    Brother MFC-6890CDW

Of these, I have been able to find proper drivers for the Dell and Brother printers, but except for the P2035, the HP printers seem to rely only on the included MS Win. drivers. Unfortunately I can't seem to find the W32 bit drivers in the installed Win 7 systems, or the equivelant of the old CAB files. Any idease here?

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc Brown View Post
    HP has done a horrible job of supporting printers in Win7. We've had to look for common compatible drivers, for example, we use an HP 2200 PCL 5 driver for LJ 4100s and 2300s.

With that small number of PCs in each location, I'm curious why you want to use a central print server? Is straight IP printing from each workstation not feasible due to a software limitation?
    The printers are mostly USB connection only (the color inkjet for some reason is an exception). Additionally, the Win XP systems are pretty heavily locked down for the local power users as they belong to our "corporate" domain which has a pretty tight group policy set on it, requiring an admin user to install local printers, but not for connecting to a shared printer.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,167 Times in 1,071 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Phraedrique View Post
    Sorry about the pictures covering text up there... it really didn't cover much of interest anyway as I had not put in any specific model numbers. As for the specific model numbers:
    HP Deskjet 6940
    HP Laserjet P2015
    HP Laserjet P1006
    HP Deskjet 5650C
    HP Laserjet P2035
    Dell 1130 Laser Printer
    Brother MFC-6890CDW

Of these, I have been able to find proper drivers for the Dell and Brother printers, but except for the P2035, the HP printers seem to rely only on the included MS Win. drivers. Unfortunately I can't seem to find the W32 bit drivers in the installed Win 7 systems, or the equivelant of the old CAB files. Any idease here?
    You need to obtain drivers for XP, not for Windows 7. Doesn't HP have XP drivers for those printers?

Thanks
    Deskjet 6940

Laserjet P2015

Laserjet P1006

Deskjet 5650C

Laserjet P2035

I hope these links help to find your XP drivers.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ruirib View Post
    You need to obtain drivers for XP, not for Windows 7. Doesn't HP have XP drivers for those printers?
    And install these on the Win 7 system how? When I attempt to install the XP drivers on the Win 7 64bit system, it tells me that the drivers are not comaptible with the hardware. I have seen some mention in other forums that something in the .inf files for the Win 7 64 bit drivers does not match the .inf from the win XP or win 7 32 bit drivers. Others are saying that I need to first install the printers on the Win XP systems and then change the ports to point to the Win 7 WINS name. While I can do this for the user, it is not the preferred solution as each time the user mves from one field office to another they have to map the printers in the new field office on their own.

Administrator
    Thanks
    You install them from this dialog:

PrinterDrivers.JPG

You get there from Printers and Devices, then right click the printer, choose Printer Properties and choose the Sharing tab.
    Last edited by ruirib; 2011-07-27 at 11:47.

Thanks
    Rui, once again you were a little quicker to the punch than I. We make a good team however.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Administrator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Ted Myers View Post
    Rui, once again you were a little quicker to the punch than I. We make a good team however.
    I am actually having a few doubts about this, now, Ted . Suddenly I am thinking it won't be possible to add XP drivers. I could almost swear I have done it, but not sure any longer.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Actually, this is the point where things start to fall apart for me. After selecting the "additional Drivers" section and attempting to add the x86 drivers, the above included screen shots (in the OP) show up.

At THAT point, I need to be able to point the system to new drivres to install the 32 bit drivers for the 'host' computer, but since HP is relying on MS to provide them for the win 7 systems, and MS is not able to find anything in the systems, I'm pretty much at a loss....

Administrator
    Thanks
    Yes, but at that point, have you tried offering the XP drivers?

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Yes, and it returns with the message that it does not find any comaptible driver for the installed hardware.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast