Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    New Lounger
    Thanks

Windows 7 popups

I'm having a continuing problem where system or program generated popup windows stay open for a second or less and then disappear behind the active window rather than stay open in front. (I’m running Windows 7-64bits). I’ve tried using the Alt + Tab to bring such “utility popup windows” (for lack of a better word) back up front. Sometimes it works but most often the popup will immediately vanish again and does not allow me to take any action either with a mouse click or keyboard shortcut. This is very annoying. Is there a setting that I may have screwed up inadvertently? I searched but couldn't find one. Thanks for your help.
    Last edited by jwitalka; 2014-05-18 at 10:58. Reason: fixed typo

Thanks
    These are more than likely just "event" advisories that don't require any user interaction. If it required user input, it wouldn't disappear until you had responded.
    Create a new drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"Let them that don't want it have memories of not gettin' any." "Gratitude is riches and complaint is poverty and the worst I ever had was wonderful." Brother Dave Gardner "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else." Sir Thomas Robert Deware. "The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Do you understand?" Captain Jack Sparrow.
    Unleash Windows

New Lounger
    Thanks
    No, it happens with any popup, including those that prompt me to take action ... I wouldn't mind as much if they were only "event" advisories

Thanks
    Have you tried a System Restore to a time before this started happening?
    Create a new drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"Let them that don't want it have memories of not gettin' any." "Gratitude is riches and complaint is poverty and the worst I ever had was wonderful." Brother Dave Gardner "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else." Sir Thomas Robert Deware. "The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Do you understand?" Captain Jack Sparrow.
    Unleash Windows

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Do these pop ups only occur when you have a browser open or even when working offline ?

New Lounger
    Thanks
    no, I haven't but will do if this will remain as the only option. thanks for your help.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    yes, both with browser open and offline ... it even happens with outlook 2010, particularly when filling in recipient addresses ... the pre-filled address is open for a fraction of a second only, not long enough to hit 'enter' and select ...

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by herby325 View Post
    yes, both with browser open and offline ... it even happens with outlook 2010, particularly when filling in recipient addresses ... the pre-filled address is open for a fraction of a second only, not long enough to hit 'enter' and select ...
    Go Start and start to type reliability where you will see View reliability history highlighted.

Press Enter or click on that then on any red crosses and you can click on the links under Action for more info and if any relate to your system, more info could be in Event Viewer.

Depending upon what the messages relate to, running a sfc /scannow may find something.
    Last edited by Sudo15; 2014-05-19 at 02:34.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Sudo15 For This Useful Post:

herby325 (2014-05-19)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    excellent suggestion: several of my past windows updates had apparently problems ... will try the restore function to see if it corrects the problem ... (would like to run the sfc/scannow function but don't seem to be able to get to the elevated command prompt and need to do some more research on how to get to it) ... anyway, many thanks for your help. I think I'm almost there.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by herby325 View Post
    excellent suggestion: several of my past windows updates had apparently problems ... will try the restore function to see if it corrects the problem ... (would like to run the sfc/scannow function but don't seem to be able to get to the elevated command prompt and need to do some more research on how to get to it) ... anyway, many thanks for your help. I think I'm almost there.
    To open a command prompt as an admin - go Start - type cmd.exe - right click on cmd then click on Run as administrator - accept the UAC and you will be presented with the command window with administrator in the top bar.

Did the Reliability history have anything ?

New Lounger
    Thanks
    yes, the Reliability showed several problems with past windows updates and one abnormally terminated update of Foxit Reader ... I did manage to open the elevated command prompt and ran the sfc/scannow utility ... everything came out OK though. The last thing for me to do, I guess, is to try to restore the system to an earlier date ... unfortunately, I did not really manage my restore points properly and have to go back almost one year to avoid the more recent ones which actually might contain the problem. Thanks again for your help with this, I certainly learned a few thing that I didn't even know existed. From this viewpoint, a total success. Thanks. Herb

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Hopefully the restore points will fix it.

I'm not sure how you have restore points going that far back, but try one that is prior to the earliest one in Reliability history that snags a problem with Windows Updates and then work your way back from there, Scanning for affected programs as you go.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    will do ... I have no idea how the old restore point stayed there for almost one year ... all the more recent ones are within the last 3 week time frame ...
    if I can bother you once more, do you think it could be due to a malware item? Malwarebytes identified a PUP.Optional.Conduit.A infection but has not been able to remove or quarantine it. I'm in a separate discussion with them about this. But in your experience, can such malware be responsible for system file corruptions? Thanks again.
    ** the one year old restore point is a system image so I guess it stays there forever ...
    Last edited by herby325; 2014-05-20 at 09:57. Reason: addition

Thanks
    Malware can result in file corruption but Conduit is unlikely to have caused it Full Conduit removal instructions can be found at:
    http://malwaretips.com/blogs/remove-...h-and-toolbar/

Jerry

16. The Following User Says Thank You to jwitalka For This Useful Post:

herby325 (2014-05-20)

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    I see Jerry has answered your question.

Do any of the restore points pre-date Conduit that you could try - if they don't then leave them and after a successful removal of Conduit you should delete the restore points and create a new one after the disinfection.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Sudo15 For This Useful Post:

herby325 (2014-05-20)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast