4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Robolinux C: Drive to VM

This is a very wordy introduction/presentation, and it is for Windows 7 as well as XP, but it is to the point, that several posters here have asked, which is how to convert a physical Windows XP machine to a virtual machine that will run on VirtualBox.

http://www.robolinux.org/downloads/

Robolinux does ask for a $19.95 donation, for the "Tech Support Package", so you may not be interested after you hear that.

If you listen to the first video on the page, which is 32:18, I suggest that you skip forward to about 11:15.

I have a physical XP machine, a Dell Optiplex GX260, that I would probably try this on if it were free, but for $20, I probably won't do it.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Paragon's Go Virtual can still be snagged from Major Geeks, it converts an XP install to VBox, VirtualPC or VMWare compatible formats. Also the VMware vCenter Converter Standalone Client can whip up a VMWare compatible VM and if one happens to make images in .tib (Acronis) format it can also create a VM from that image if it meets all the necessary parameters. I tried it on some old .tib files and it either worked or indicated it didn't meet all the needed parameters; about 50/50. XP install conversions have been 100% so far but I've only done one.

I've made many VMs using Go Virtual and they've all worked to some degree but maybe about 75% have worked perfectly. One can even attach an old drive with XP on it and convert that to a VM without the need to have it be the active OS.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to F.U.N. downtown For This Useful Post:

Prescott (2014-05-18)

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Paragon's Go Virtual can still be snagged from Major Geeks
    I downloaded it, but I don't have time to try it now. I'll try it tomorrow.

Thanks

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    One thing you might encounter is Windows Validation and entering a license code.
    Joe

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe S View Post
    One thing you might encounter is Windows Validation and entering a license code.
    Joe
    Definitely, I've had a dickens of time just getting through to MS lately and their automated validation servers may not be tracking Windows XP MCE anymore...the bot continually tells me my key is not valid and hangs up without letting me access a real person.