Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Then the restore points are corrupted and need to be deleted. To do that, go into My Computer, Properties, System Restore Tab and turn off System Restore. Reboot, turn System Restore back on and it'll automatically make a new restore point.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I understand that, but then that will destroy all prior points and leave only the current one. Is that correct? I did want to restore to a previous point....

Thanks
    Yes, you are correct.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    There is no substitute for regular full partition backups.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Might try do some HD maintenance and see if something is amiss there. Might try a chkdsk c: /r from the command prompt. Will flag the drive dirty and run the utility the next time it is started. Check the date/time and make sure it is correct. I've seen this cause weird problems. What antivirus are you using and, if changed it since last restore, what did you use previously? And, you 100% sure that there is no Malware/Rougeware running on the computer that would possibly block the Restore from working correctly. If not, would possibly look at and/or use " rkill from bleeping computers" and install/run Malwarebytes free, to double check for issues. Google search for rkill should take you to the first item it shows and second one liks to what it is and how to use it.

Thanks
    I tried restoring on my XP many times and never got it to work. I even have a VB Script file that made restore points and they would never work.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    One unpleasant possibility is that your hard drive has developed some "bad sectors" which are causing corruption of your Restore points. If so, you'll need a new hard drive soon. Or, as another poster already mentioned, some kind of malware has sneaked into your system and corrupted the Restore files or simply blocked Restore from working. Do you have a full system image backup you can restore?

New Lounger
    Thanks
    If you are getting the message that System Restore failed after rebooting your computer, try this...

1. Boot into Safe Mode and run System Restore.

2. After it runs, instead of rebooting normally, reboot into Safe Mode again and see if it will complete.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thank you, Freeloader, for all your suggestions.
    I have run chkdsk and defrag; I have run again AV (no, haven’t changed it since last restore), Malware. TriedRestore yet again. No go.
    I looked at rkill and it seems beyond my ability to run it correctly.

I had installed the Security Updates at beginning of May when MS raised alarm about vulnerability. I tried to restore to an April date. No go.
    I can restore to May 20.
    Any clue in all of this?

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Jaywoods -Thanks for your time.

Not sure I understand your suggestion: "See if it will complete." It completes in that the message is it cannot restore to that date.

Are you saying after I get that message I go back to Safe Mode? And when there, what do I select/do?
    Thanks.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by acerfmayer View Post
    Jaywoods -Thanks for your time.

Not sure I understand your suggestion: "See if it will complete." It completes in that the message is it cannot restore to that date.

Are you saying after I get that message I go back to Safe Mode? And when there, what do I select/do?
    Thanks.
    A System Restore wiil sometimes fail after it runs (either in Safe Mode or normal Windows) and you reboot into Windows normally. AV/security software will sometimes prevent it from completing what it needs to do on reboot.

What I am suggesting is if you are not getting the failure in Safe Mode when you run System Restore, but get it after you reboot, try rebooting into Safe Mode instead.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    [QUOTEWhat I am suggesting is if you are not getting the failure in Safe Mode when you run System Restore, but get it after you reboot, try rebooting into Safe Mode instead.[/QUOTE]

Ah, now I get it. Unfortunately I did get the failure message in Safe Mode....

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by acerfmayer View Post
    [QUOTEWhat I am suggesting is if you are not getting the failure in Safe Mode when you run System Restore, but get it after you reboot, try rebooting into Safe Mode instead.
    Ah, now I get it. Unfortunately I did get the failure message in Safe Mode....[/QUOTE]

Mmm, time to restore from a System Image backup .... or do a fresh install!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12