2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Outlook 2010 email sort order

The order emails appear in my inbox is, naturally, by date, with the newest email at the top of the list.

Occasionally I need to re-order the emails in the list, to be by attachment, so all the emails with attachments appear at the top of the list. The easiest way for me to do that is to click on the paperclip symbol at the top of the attachment column in the email list (which I have as one of my default columns), but this doesn't produce the desired result for 2 reasons:-

1 - The emails at the top of the list are now those without attachments, whereas I want the list to start with those with attachments

2 - The top of the list of attachments is now somewhere within the main body of emails, so I cannot get to it readily.

What I am looking for is an easy (1-click) option which gives me my emails, listed with all those with attachments at the top of the list, in date order, newest first.

Please can anyone help me achieve this?

Thanks

Neil

2. Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Administrator
    Thanks
    Try clicking on the paper clip twice. Not one click but should be fast.

Joe

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks Joe

My main email folder has emails from both 2013 and 2014 in it.

Unfortunately your solution puts all the 2013 emails at the top of the list (in date order, with late December emails at the top of the 2013 list, and early January 13 emails at the bottom).

The 2014 emails (which are the ones I am really after) appear directly below the 2013s, (with most recent at the top of the 2014 subset).

Unfortunately this makes them even harder to locate....!

Any other ideas, Joe (or anyone else)?

Thanks

Neil

Administrator
    Thanks
    Sorry, I wasn't paying close enough attention to the date order. You should be able to define a custom view that does what you want. Then switch to the custom view when you need to see the emails with attachments and switch back when you want your normal view.

Joe

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Okay - thanks Joe. I've done that now and it seems to work.

Neil

Administrator
    Thanks
    Sorry there wasn't a quicker "one click" answer. But, glad you go it resolved.

Joe