4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Don't want to save changes to document template

Every time I save a certain document with Word 2010, it opens a dialog which asks "Do you want to save changes to the document template?"

I have made changes to the styles in the document, so to that extent the message makes sense. But I've been using Word 2010 since... oh, about 2010... and I've never gotten this message before. It's not clear to me why I'm getting it now.

It's also not clear how to make Word stop displaying it every time I save. In this case I most definitely do not want to save the changes to the template, but I know that sooner or later I'm going to hit the wrong button and do it. I need to know how to make Word understand that NO means NO, not "maybe next time."

2. Subscribe to our Windows Secrets Newsletter - It's Free!

Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    What add-ins do you have running? Typically this problem is caused by add-ins which write something to the attached template. Adobe Acrobat is a common offender but others have been known to also cause the problem.
    Andrew Lockton, Chrysalis Design, Melbourne Australia

Thanks
    Andrew hit the nail on the head. This is almost certainly caused by a poorly-written Add-In. Some Add-Ins make changes to the user interface to make Word work well with another program. This can be done easily by making a modification (usually temporary) to the normal template. (It can also be done without changing the normal template, which is why I call them poorly-written.) A more pernicious version of this problem arises from trying to cure this. That version prevents any changes to the normal template, including those made deliberately by the user, from being saved.

There are two types of Add-Ins and either can cause the problem. However, it seems to happen most with .COM Add-Ins.

Add-Ins in Microsoft Word - Helper Files That Can Cause Problems
    Last edited by Charles Kenyon; 2014-05-20 at 09:06.
    Charles Kyle Kenyon
    Madison, Wisconsin

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    No Word add-ins. The COM add-ins are:

• Acrobat PDFMaker Office COM Addin
    • OneNote Notes about Word Documents
    • Send to Bluetooth
    • Sharing Add-in for Microsoft Lync 2010

I should add that I'm using a "found" machine at my new job while IT tries to get its wit together enough to provide me with my own. I didn't install these things; I don't know what they are beyond what their names suggest. Because of that, I'd be a little nervous about removing them.

Thanks
    If you don't use Send to Bluetooth, try disabling that. It's caused a lot of mysterious issues over the years.

Best, Kim

7. The Following User Says Thank You to kmurdock For This Useful Post:

jsachs177 (2014-05-21)

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    >If you don't use Send to Bluetooth, try disabling that.

That fixed it. Thank you.

Now that I think about it, "Send to Bluetooth" is a pretty bizarre thing to do, anyway.

Thanks
    It will be found on many new machines, though. Someone in configuration and purchasing at manufacturers seems to like it.
    Charles Kyle Kenyon
    Madison, Wisconsin

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Disabling Send to Bluetooth didn't do it for me. What I did was unlink my document from the template permanently:

1. File>Options>Add-ins>Manage ("Templates")
    2. Clear the field "document template", which has the address of the template that the document references.
    3. Click OK. The document template will default to "normal" (but the document features will still be retained).

This is not a good option if you intend to continuously update your file through the parent template though.

Thanks
    Updating your document content through the parent template is not the best idea. The update styles has been a source of trouble for years. Other general content does not change in a document when the template is modified.

This message does not have to do with being linked to a particular template unless that template has code in it which modifies itself or the normal template.
    Charles Kyle Kenyon
    Madison, Wisconsin

Thanks
    Hi wideopensky,

You might check the other add-ins you have running. You should only get the message to save the template when you've made a change to the template, such as updating the styles as jsachs177 did. But occasionally a renegade add-in will try to do something to the template which sets the template's Saved property to false. Over the years I've found the Send to Bluetooth to be irresponsible in this way, but there are other add-ins that also cause mischief, such as the older Adobe Acrobat add-ins.

Disable (and re-enable) each of the add-ins one at a time until you isolate the offender. You're right that detaching the template isn't a good solution, especially if there are macros, document building blocks, or autotext in the template, so it's usually worth running this down.

Does this happen with all your templates or only one? If there are macros, it's possible that code in the template itself is causing the message to appear.

Best, Kim