New Lounger
    Thanks

May MS Updates Restart Results in Windows Startup Repair

After installing KB2962488 and KB2962482 successfully, I restarted and got the Startup Repair screen. I opted for the Startup Repair three times, but each time an error message appeared on screen for a fraction of a second before shutting down. In the System log, I get event ID 86 (below).

Log Name: System
    Source: Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-Power
    Date: 5/15/2014 10:33:22 PM
    Event ID: 86
    Task Category: (83)
    Level: Error
    Keywords: (32)
    User: N/A
    Computer:
    Description:
    The system was shut down due to a critical thermal event.

On the next startup, I chose to Start Windows Normally and there were no problems. There have not been any problems since and no warnings or errors in the event logs. I've done a little searching, but have not found anyone else who had the same occurrence. Do I need to be concerned and look into it further?

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    You could download HWMonitor to check that your temps were okay, but I think I would uninstall those two updates just to see if the error reoccurred after reinstalling them.

Is there any reference to the error in Reliability history ?

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Sudo15 For This Useful Post:

Stinger-24 (2014-05-23)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for the suggestions. The error was not referenced in the Reliability history. I uninstalled both updates, restarting after each. Then, I re-installed the IE update (2962482/2953522) and restarted without issue. Next, I re-installed the Shell Handler update (2962488/2926765) and shut down.

When I started up the next day, I got the Startup Repair screen again. After choosing Startup Repair, the only thing I saw was a bugcheck before it shut down. Below are the two pertinent system events--

Source: Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-Power
    Date: 5/22/2014 8:10:23 PM
    Event ID: 41
    Task Category: (63)
    Level: Critical
    Keywords: (2)
    User: SYSTEM
    Computer:
    Description:
    The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first. This error could be caused if the system stopped responding, crashed, or lost power unexpectedly.

Source: Microsoft-Windows-WER-SystemErrorReporting
    Date: 5/22/2014 8:10:38 PM
    Event ID: 1001
    Task Category: None
    Level: Error
    Keywords: Classic
    User: N/A
    Computer:
    Description:
    The computer has rebooted from a bugcheck. The bugcheck was: 0x000000f4 (0x0000000000000003, 0xfffffa80060b6b30, 0xfffffa80060b6e10, 0xfffff8000318c0d0). A dump was saved in: C:\Windows\MEMORY.DMP. Report Id: 052214-15568-01.

As before, the next time I booted, I started Windows normally. The Reliability history only shows that the updates were installed successfully and the bugcheck description. So far, I haven't had any luck searching for matching bugcheck parameters.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Satrow will probably be able to help you with the dump file, but do you still get the error after uninstalling the Shell Handler updates as you need to eliminate the WUs as the cause.

Did HWMonitor report satisfactory temps ?

You could open a command prompt as an admin and run a sfc /scannow to see what that reports.

This laptop booted twice to Startup Repair out of the blue over a three day period so I just factory reset it and haven't had any problems since.
    Last edited by Sudo15; 2014-05-23 at 03:59.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I guess I didn't describe the problem, if you can call it that, satisfactorily. The only time I have ever gotten the Windows Startup Repair screen is on the restart after installing that update. I only get an error if I choose Startup Repair. If I choose to start Windows normally, everything is fine.

Since I did the second post-install "restart" after my computer was off for over 12 hours, I don't think it's an overheating issue. The sfc didn't find any "violations." Is this even worth bothering Satrow with the dump?

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Perhaps it was just Windows having a bad day and if there isn't any repetition then it should be okay.