Thanks

Cloning C: drive with True Image

I have used True Image for years to make images but have never thought about using the Clone feature until now.

I have two internal drives, one with Windows 7 and the other with XP.
    Both drives are identical in size and brand..

If I make a clone of Windows 7 to my XP drive and my C drive fails does that mean all I have to do to use the cloned drive is unplug the bad C drive and plug in the cloned drive and I'm back to normal?

Thanks guys.
    "If You Are Reading This In English, Thank A VET"

2. Subscribe to our Windows Secrets Newsletter - It's Free!

Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Yes, it's just a shortcut to restoring an image to that drive before normal function is restored. The disadvantage of course is it's a drive that has no other purpose except to hold that one clone in case the original fails.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    If you do try this be sure to disconnect the newly cloned drive before rebooting. Otherwise you will get windows confused because there will be two identical copies.

Thanks
    Thanks guys..

I was wondering about it booting with both drives being identical..
    "If You Are Reading This In English, Thank A VET"

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Bany, good morning.
    Keep in mind that a clone will flush any destination HD. Oooopps ! Have a great day. Jean.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    [QUOTE=Banyarola;953708]I have used True Image for years to make images but have never thought about using the Clone feature until now.

Yeah, like you, I've used Acronis since about version 8 (my most recent is Acronis 2013 Plus)

I have two internal drives, one with Windows 7 and the other with XP.
    Both drives are identical in size and brand..

I've used Acronis clone for several years (mostly with XP) and found that size and brand are generally immaterial. I've cloned from larger to smaller and vice versa, with various brands. A year or so ago though, I discovered Acronis *doesn't* clone quite everything with Windows 7. It wasn't properly cloning the 100g System partition that Win7 creates with a clean install, which was also the active boot partition in my case. <sigh> (This with Acronis 2010 Plus, I hadn't tried it with Acronis 2013). Since then, when cloning drives I've resorted to the open-source Clonezilla, but it's not as flexible as Acronis. Your mileage may vary.

If I make a clone of Windows 7 to my XP drive and my C drive fails does that mean all I have to do to use the cloned drive is unplug the bad C drive and plug in the cloned drive and I'm back to normal?

Yeah, that's pretty much how it works (or SHOULD work!) I use an older Dell Optiplex 745 as my main testing/daily workhorse system, but run it with the case open so I can easily add/remove drives. After a clone, I've learned to test the copy to make sure it works as expected. With most of my systems, I can choose the boot drive in BIOS, or in the case of the Dell hit F12 at startup and choose which drive to boot. While a clone can be handy for a quick replacement in an emergency, I've found a tested, full bit-image backup like Acronis creates is just as reliable and more flexible. With the Acronis plus, I can even be back up and running on different hardware with minimal fuss. Hope this helps.

Cheers,
    Phil Heberer

Lounger
    Thanks
    Yes, but one caution: Each hard drive has its own unique (MAC) address. Some software, including much of Microsoft's, checks this address to make sure that the license hasn't been violated by the user duplicating it onto another drive. So after replacing the original drive with the clone, you might suddenly encounter error messages to the effect that the software is being run on a drive other than the one it was originally installed on.

I've experienced this several times with True Image clones. It's relatively easy, although tedious, to get Microsoft to validate the cloned copy. Others can be trickier. The best general solution, but only if the "bad" drive was not the result of a hardware problem, is to re-clone the cloned drive back to the original. I've done this twice without problems.

One suggestion: In addition to cloning to a second internal drive, periodically do it to an external drive as well, and store that drive away from the machine. This will protect you against incidents that damage your whole computer (power surges, "Pepsi Syndrome," etc.)

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I've been using True Image for many years, just to clone my C: drive every month. When I finish the clone, I leave the newly made clone in and restart Win7 Ultimate. There has never been a problem, I can access both drives and can copy files from one drive to the other. Windows doesn't seem to care that there are two bootable copies. After I verify the copy is good, I remove the clone for storage - in case something happens to my C: drive. Over the past ten years or so, I've used the clone to replace one drive that was infested with a root virus I couldn't remove and one failed drive. For me, cloning is a lifesaver.

I've also used True Image to install a clone in a different machine. This required making the boot CD and booting the new machine with it, but after a short wait Windows found the correct drivers. It booted and worked perfectly. All programs were 100% good.

Thanks
    Yes, I agree with @joro. The only time I have picked up a problem and had to contact Microsoft to re-register/activate my products was when booting from the cloned drive (or indeed a recovered image on a new drive) in A NEW PC (I am no expert, but it seems the different motherboard is what triggers the problem, not a different hard drive (or am I wrong?). I base this last statement on this (obtained elsewhere): "The hardware id is a composite of a computers specific hardware. If you change any of the non-removable hardware the id will change and the computer will de-activate and need to be re-activated".

Incidentally, Nuance products (such as Dragon Dictate and Omnipage) must be UNINSTALLED before trying to run them again from different hardware, otherwise you will get a "number of installations exceeded" error message and have to re-purchase the software. Uninstalling sends a "re-set" signal to Nuance for your specific product. (This is quite a challenge if your system fails and you move to your clone or image to get up and running again ...since you will obviously not have had time to uninstall the relevant Nuance products!!)
    Last edited by petesmst; 2014-06-08 at 04:57. Reason: Corrected a typo
    (My Setup: 3,70GHz Intel Core i7-4820K CPU; MSI Military Class iii X79A-GD45 Plus Motherboard; Win 8.1 Pro (64 bit); 16GB RAM; SAMSUNG SD840 PRO SSD (6GB/SATA III); Seagate 2TB Barracuda SATA6G HDD; GeForceGTX 760 2GB Graphics Card; Office 2013 Prof (32-bit); MS Project 2013 (32-bit); Acronis TI 2014 Premium, NIS 2014, etc). (UEFI-booted). WD My Book 3 1TB USB External Backup Drive)

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I think you're right, Pete, I've just installed an SSD in a PC which dual booted Win7 and Win 8.1.
    I copied the OS's to 2 partitions using True Image 11, and apart from having to reset the boot arrangements have had no problem with activation.