Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Question about second monitor

My desktop has a card, in the manual it's called "Expansion slot (graphics card and TV tuner card and Mode card)". The attached graphic shows the back of the PC and there is a VGA socket (not clear in this picture but it has a symbol by it with two oblongs, one inside the other. I assumed that I could connect my second monitor to this, but when I did, nothing happened; it wasn't recognised. It's the top row of section 9.

Have I got this wrong and this card can't support a second monitor, or is there something I'm missing?
    graphic_card.jpg

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by access-mdb View Post
    the top row of section 9.
    That is a common configuration with HDMI and VGA side-by-side, and that is how I connect my second monitor. After connecting both, you should be able to right-click on your Desktop screen and get to your display settings where you will have to be sure each is turned on (and possibly that any others such as S-Video or whatever are turned off). At that point, you should also be able to select which monitor should be primary and whether you want the same display on each or for either to be an extension of your desktop. The display utility for doing all of that varies from one video-card or computer manufacturer to the next, and having the correct drivers and utility installed (and not always the latest) can make a difference in all of that being accessible and working properly.
    Last edited by leejosepho; 2014-05-21 at 06:33.

Thanks
    Access,

From the looks of it your card will support DVI, HDMI, and VGA connections.
    When you hook up the second monitor you need to go to into the control panel as follows:
    Control Panel -> Display -> Change display settings
    DualMons.JPG
    Change the Multiple displays: option to -> Extend these displays.

HTH
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

VBA Rules!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

Thanks
    Thanks RG (and Leejosepho) - I did this, but didn't get the second display in the display panel. Indeed, the monitor went into sleep mode, as all do nowadays when the PC is switched off - I couldn't get it to stop doing this. This is why I assumed I might be getting something wrong or was making an incorrect assumption.

I've done this with laptops as they have the extra socket as standard, and was expecting it to be the same.

Thanks
    Where are you connecting the 2nd monitor to the PC? What cable are you using? Where is the first monitor connected to the PC and what kind of cable connection? What's the make/model of your graphic card (GPU)?

From your attached picture, you need to be using the (white) DVI port and the (blue) VGA port. Then follow the suggestions on setting up 2nd monitor from with in windows.

Thanks
    I'm connecting the second monitor in the socket as illustrated. The 1st monitor is in a separate VGA socket higher up the tower - and that's always worked. The cables are standard vga ones. The card is an ATI Radeon HD 4300/4500.

I'm going to test the monitor and cable on my wife's laptop. However, it was working on my other (Mesh) desktop - both in XP before it was crewed and Linux subsequently.

And I got rid of a DVI to VGA converter not long ago - ho hum!

Thanks
    I used to have a dual video card. When I had Windows 7, it allowed me to connect two monitors, with one as the primary and the other as the extended. However, when I installed Windows 8 (32-bit, not sure if that was a factor), it no longer worked. I did a lot of searching and found that there was no Windows 8 driver for my video card.

I ended up getting a single, wide monitor rather than using two smaller monitors.

Thanks
    I'm connecting the second monitor in the socket as illustrated
    That's why I asked....the illustration doesn't show or that I can tell.

What OS and bit type are you using?

Do you have the driver/software package installed for the AMD 4300/4500 graphics card? I would plug both monitors into the GPU using A) a DVI cable (got buy one if you don't have one) B) a VGA cable. From that point on it should work for you.

http://support.amd.com/en-us/downloa...s%207%20-%2064

Thanks
    Checking on AMD's site, my card should be OK (http://support.amd.com/en-us/kb-arti...erSupport.aspx). I have the WDDM 1.1 it mentions. Doing 'Update driver software' on the card says I have the best driver for it. There are so many sites with drivers, but I don't want to screw my PC.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    In other words it seems you have not verified any signal from the discrete GPU at all? Only from the onboard connection that is just out of view in the image?

If so, ya, you need to abandon the onboard connection completely, only use the discrete GPU for both connections. Sometimes this also requires going into the BIOS and specifying PCIe graphics as the first place to look for the graphics and even then it might stick stubbornly to the onboard graphics in which case resetting the BIOS configuration data for the next boot may work and if that doesn't work setting the BIOS to safe defaults may work but I've even had that fail and have been forced to jumper (reset) the CMOS to get a system to finally give up the ghost and start using the discrete GPU.

Since Win 8 has its fingers firmly in the UEFI though, it should have an advantage at detecting and setting dual monitors up automatically (for the most part) if you just switch completely to the discrete GPU.
    Last edited by F.U.N. downtown; 2014-05-21 at 14:06.

Thanks
    I've just looked in the BIOS and I have four optons for Primary Video, viz. Onboard, PCI, Auto (the default option) and PCIe. I take it that I have to change to PCIe and plug my normal screen into the other VGA socket. I then use the DVI port (either a new cable vga-dvi or a vga-dvi converter) for the second screen. Phew! I don't have EUFI as my PC is too old (I bought it with Win 7 about five years ago but upgraded it to Win 8).

As the option is auto, would rebooting with the screen in the PCI socket work? I don't want to be screenless as that would necessitate a hard reboot from the power switch...

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    If it doesn't switch over and load a generic VGA driver, the video should still be back on the onboard port. Best case scenario though is the former, smooth and simple. I can't say it'll be problem free though; I've run the whole gamut over the years as I've described.

Thanks
    OK, thanks. I will do a Macrium image then give it a whirl, and let you all know...

Thanks
    OK, I just went to try different sockets and found I had left the main screen in the PCI socket, rather than the other VGA socket. I hadn't noticed as it booted OK and just displayed on the screen as normal. However, I've now tried the second monitor in the other VGA socket, but no joy. I will have to see if I can get a VGA to DVI converter. Ho hum!

But why are there two VGA sockets, but only one (seemingly) can be used? Wonderful things are computers!

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    At some point the PCIe card was added or spec'd that way, the onboard one is just there in case there is no PCIe GPU card. There are plenty of motherboards that don't have any video ports as well, mostly used by builders who know they want discrete graphics only or higher end systems that wouldn't be caught dead with an onboard VGA port.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast