Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Linux Mint 17 Qiana released

Linux Mint 17 Qiana

Last Update: Friday 16 May 2014 00:18 GMT

Linux Mint is an Ubuntu-based distribution whose goal is to provide a more complete out-of-the-box experience by including browser plugins, media codecs, support for DVD playback, Java and other components. It also adds a custom desktop and menus, several unique configuration tools, and a web-based package installation interface. Linux Mint is compatible with Ubuntu software repositories.

http://distrowatch.com/table.php?distribution=mint

http://mirror.ancl.hawaii.edu/linux/...d-64bit-rc.iso

2. Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I'm running Linux Mint 14 (32bit) at present.
    Is it possible to update to Mint 17 without losing all installed software?

Thanks
    I see nothing on the Linux Mint site for 17 just 16, which I have, Linux Mint Mate 16. I do see Linux 17 RC as in developmental role not yet released to the public....a test (beta).
    Last edited by bassfisher6522; 2014-05-22 at 08:37.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by A1ex View Post
    Are you updating to Linux Mint 17 32-bit? If you are updating from 32-bit to 64-bit, the answer is definitely no! You will not be able to do an update at all, but will have to do a complete install.

If you were running Linux Mint 16 , I would say yes, but since you are running Linux Mint 14, (based on Ubuntu 12.10), I'm not sure.

If you are upgrading to Linux Mint 17 32-bit, then if I were you, I would create an image of your current Linux Mint 14 (32bit), and then try. If it all goes to caca, you can just restore from the image.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by bassfisher6522 View Post
    I see nothing on the Linux Mint site for 17 just 16, which I have, Linux Mint Mate 16. I do see Linux 17 RC as in developmental role not yet released to the public....a test (beta).
    Linu Mint 17 is _NOT_ a Beta, it is a Release Candidate. It is due to be in Full Release before the end of May.

Thanks
    Alpha, Beta or RC (release candidate) it's still in a test phase and that was the point I was making. Which means if you download now and use it, it will still be buggy. There's nothing in the first link you posted that says anything about the full release to the public. You have to really read it and find the "more news" link to find out and even on that page there's no mention of when the full release will be. So where did you get your release information from....just curious?

I'll just wait for the full release of Mint 17....when ever that is. I do appreciate the heads up on it and looking forward to checking it out. What I'm really looking forward to is Zorin 9. I tried 6 went it first came out and really liked it.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    This is not an answer to your question, but I though you might find it interesting.

Linux Mint 13 Through Linux Mint 17 Benchmarks

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...int_1317&num=2

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by bassfisher6522 View Post
    Alpha, Beta or RC (release candidate) it's still in a test phase and that was the point I was making. Which means if you download now and use it, it will still be buggy.
    There is a big difference between Alpha and Beta, and an even bigger difference between Beta and Release Candidate. All software is buggy including Fully Released software that has been out and patched for years. It's a matter of degree, but if release candidates make you nervous that's a legitimate position.

There's nothing in the first link you posted that says anything about the full release to the public. You have to really read it and find the "more news" link to find out and even on that page there's no mention of when the full release will be. So where did you get your release information from....just curious?
    RC means Release Candidate. It was on DistroWatch

I'll just wait for the full release of Mint 17....when ever that is. I do appreciate the heads up on it and looking forward to checking it out. What I'm really looking forward to is Zorin 9. I tried 6 went it first came out and really liked it.
    The difference between Zorin and Linux Mint is largely a matter of preference, they are both popular distributions, but I prefer Linux Mint with Cinnamon. Mint is also working on Linux Mint Debian Edition, which is one of the distributions I'm keeping an eye on. It needs a little more development before it is ready for prime time.

Thanks
    I just started messing around with the linux distros...so finding one that is more or less like windows is what I'm after. So far the front runners for me are Zorin and Mint Mate. My biggest issue with linux is; how to freaking install a piece of software. It's complicated in Linux not like in windows just hit the .exe file and your off. Then there's the whole terminal thing and the stuff one needs to remember.....different doesn't come close to describe it.

Thanks

I believe that upgrading between versions of Mint is now NOT supported, meaning keeping progarms already installed may be possible for a Linux guru but not us mere mortals. I am still on 14 so if I am wrong I would like to know it. Also because of this one should stick with a long term support version.....

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I installed Linux Mint 13 Maya (the last Long Term Support version) on VMware Player, installed gparted, filezlla, audacity, and libreoffice, and updated it to Linux Mint 14 Nadia. Everything seemed to go okay, and when I rebooted it seemed to be starting okay, it even said Linux Mint 14, but below that it printed a row of dingbats. I tried entering the password and hitting return, but that didn't get me anywhere.

I can't say from my little adventure that you would not be able to upgrade from 14 to 15, and then from 15 to 16, and 16 to 17, but I can't say that you can either.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Linux Mint 17 Qiana Cinnamon and Mate Released

The following is the release notice for Cinnamon

http://blog.linuxmint.com/?p=2615

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Mint 17: The best Linux desktop to date
    Summary: I've used hundreds of Linux desktops over the years, and Mint 17 with Cinnamon 17 is my favorite one to date.
    By Stephan J. Vaughan-Nichols for Linux and Open Source

http://www.zdnet.com/mint-17-the-bes...te-7000029823/

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Prescott View Post
    I installed Linux Mint 13 Maya (the last Long Term Support version) on VMware Player, installed gparted, filezlla, audacity, and libreoffice, and updated it to Linux Mint 14 Nadia. Everything seemed to go okay, and when I rebooted it seemed to be starting okay, it even said Linux Mint 14, but below that it printed a row of dingbats. I tried entering the password and hitting return, but that didn't get me anywhere.

I can't say from my little adventure that you would not be able to upgrade from 14 to 15, and then from 15 to 16, and 16 to 17, but I can't say that you can either.

Darn I had this all written but hit the reply button again and it was washed away. How do I get to the auto saved content I typed anyone??

Prescott

I found a link that I thought was telling me how to do what I wanted, http://community.linuxmint.com/tutorial/view/2
    by backing up and installing a new Mint then restoring but only data and a program list seem to be restored.
    The author notes that there is away to do a real upgrade with apt repositories but says that is a task for an expert.
    I am NOT there and will be sticking w/ 14

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    The actual position of Linux Mint, is that there is _NOT_ a way to upgrade.

Changing the repositories in sources.list and then updating the system is an unofficial way of doing it, but you are not on the LTS (Long Term Support) version, and you need to be. I'm pretty sure that Linux Mint 14 is unsupported by now. Linux Mint 17 Qiana is the Linux Mint version that is the LTS and that is based on Ubuntu Trusty Tahr 14.04 which is the Ubuntu Long Term version.

You need to either drop back to Linux Mint 13, or come forward to Linux Mint 17.

It doesn't take an expert to look up a few command line inputs, and type them into the Terminal, but on the other hand, as I said, I couldn't successfully reboot either.

$ sudo sed -i 's/quantal/raring/' /etc/apt/sources.list
    $ sudo sed -i 's/nadia/olivia/' /etc/apt/sources.list
    $ sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
    $ sudo apt-get upgrade
    $ sudo shutdown -r now

The above will get you from 14 to 15, maybe, but then you need to do it again for 15 to 16, and 16 to 17. Talk about pushing your luck.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast