Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Need alternate DVD burner, simpler the better

Hi,
    Tried using Cyberlink Power2Go which came with my DVD burner on my Sony computer. It worked fine a couple times and now hangs up for me and has already wasted a lot of my time. The previous Cyberlink program I was using worked well but doesn't work on Windows 8.

I don't need a complicated program. All I really need is something simple to make exact copies of my DVDs of old home movies. My LG DVD/VHS combo does a good job of dubbing from the VHS to DVD and finalizing the disks so they play in most players. When I run into a problem is in making copies of these home movies for other family members.

Is there a free simple program to make an exact copy of my disks that does not put me at risk of installing the nasties? I tried to install a Nero product, which used to be a respected brand, but it wanted me to let Conduit Search take over my computer. ImgBurn doesn't do a simple copy and burn. It tells me to use Build mode to create a new "clean" image based on the contents of the disc. This starts to muddy the waters for me in the simplicity department.

Anyone know of a 'lite' version of a program that will do what I want? I like the simplicity of the Cyberlink Power2Go, if it would just work. Thanks. Judy

Thanks
    I always recommend CD Burner XP, and yes it runs fine on Windows 7 too, not sure about Win 8 though but I would be surprised if it didn't.

https://cdburnerxp.se/
    Do you "Believe"? Do you vote? Please Read:
    LEARN something today so you can TEACH something tomorrow.
    DETAIL in your question promotes DETAIL in my answer.
    Dominus Vobiscum <))>(

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Other than ImgBurn, there are a few others in here that you could have a look at http://www.techradar.com/news/softwa...ftware-1141938

Or have you tried Win 8's own facility http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/faq/id...d-windows.html
    Last edited by Sudo15; 2014-04-16 at 15:45.

Thanks
    Tried using Cyberlink Power2Go which came with my DVD burner on my Sony computer. It worked fine a couple times and now hangs up for me and has already wasted a lot of my time.
    Reinstall it.

Welcome to Doom9.net - The definitive DVD backup resource
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Windows 8.1, 64 bit
    Motherboard: DX58SO2*Chipset: X58 Express/Intel ICH10*BIOS: SOX5820J.86A.0888.2012.0129.2203*Processor: Intel Core i7 CPU X 990
    GPU: Nvidia GTX 580*Memory: Corsair 12 GB, 4x3@1600*PSU: Corsair HX1000*Hard drives: REVO X2 160GB*OCZ VERT X3 120GB*5 mechanical storage drives (12 TB) total.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi, Clint.
    It was part of the preinstalled software on my computer. I don't have an install file. I don't know if I can download the program from Sony and reinstall. Will check. Thanks. Judy

Thanks
    Check the DVD disks that came with your computer. You'll likely find it there with other preinstalled software.
    If not, search the computer's website based on your make and model computer. You'll likely find them
    where you would look for driver updates.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Windows 8.1, 64 bit
    Motherboard: DX58SO2*Chipset: X58 Express/Intel ICH10*BIOS: SOX5820J.86A.0888.2012.0129.2203*Processor: Intel Core i7 CPU X 990
    GPU: Nvidia GTX 580*Memory: Corsair 12 GB, 4x3@1600*PSU: Corsair HX1000*Hard drives: REVO X2 160GB*OCZ VERT X3 120GB*5 mechanical storage drives (12 TB) total.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    While these updates are only for retail or online purchased versions, there's a suggestion regarding the "About" for bundled versions which may offer an update for Win 8 compatibility, but create a restore point first http://www.cyberlink.com/support/pow...hes_en_US.html

http://www.cyberlink.com/support/faq-content.do?id=6286

If you are unable to find a means of extracting it to reinstall which I suspect would be the case and would only be done through a factory reset, your computer vendor may be able to offer some advice on this - but it's possible there will be an OEM batch installation file somewhere among the Cyberlink folders.

You could also try the free version http://www.cyberlink.com/downloads/t...oad_en_US.html
    Last edited by Sudo15; 2014-04-17 at 04:10.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Or have you tried Win 8's own facility http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/faq/id...d-windows.html[/QUOTE]

Hi, Sudo15. I did try the Win 8 method and it does work pretty well. I did notice that there always seems to be a desktip.ini file waiting to be written to the disk whenever I view the contents of a disk. I copied just the video file to the new blank disk and burned it, and did try it in my DVD player. Seems to work fine. I think this may be my solution if I can't reinstall the Cyberlink product. Thanks so much for the help. Judy

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Well, at least contrary to popular belief - Win 8 is at least good for something

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Sudo15 View Post
    Well, at least contrary to popular belief - Win 8 is at least good for something
    Now, now......... be nice.

An additional item on this. I tried the disk I created with Windows 8 burner in a couple different players, and it does not play in one of those. Unrecognized. It will play on my computer DVD drive, however. So it appears that this type of burn isn't the solution either. Tomorrow I'm dragging out my old XP computer and using that very old burner program to make the exact copies of the disks. Takes forever, but I give up.

Many thanks for the help, though. Judy

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    I wonder if that desktop .ini file has anything to do with enabling it to be read on other systems ??

Do any other DVDs play in the one that doesn't recognize the Win 8 burnt one ?

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I wonder if that desktop .ini file has anything to do with enabling it to be read on other systems ??

Do any other DVDs play in the one that doesn't recognize the Win 8 burnt one ?
    I wondered about it too. Yes, other DVDs play but they are commercially produced DVDs, not the home video kind I'm trying to copy.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    What about previously Cyberlink burned ones ?

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Sudo15 For This Useful Post:

judson (2014-04-18)

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    What about previously Cyberlink burned ones ?
    I haven't burned any for quite a while until this latest project. Will try to find an old one and try it. I did drag out the old XP machine and finished up this project. Done for now. Hopefully I won't need to drag it out again. Thanks. Judy

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    It's just that when disk drives become faulty they can still read some types of disk but not others and this is what had crossed my mind with the machine that was unable to recognize the burned disk, but that could still have been because of that .ini file.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast