Thread: Managing Sync

New Lounger
    Thanks

Managing Sync

Now that I'm Syncing my Firefox installations I want to trim down the bookmark forest, or at least manage it in the mean time - during the trimming process.

The only problem I see is that it looks like profiles can only grow. If I take something away and then sync, it comes back. For instance, I make temporary tab groups to flash-save my place. Okay, so that's the rule. It looks like I need to make the server side update.

It sounds cumbersome but what I am thinking of doing is:
    -Breaking the Sync profile on all the computers
    -Working on System One, cutting, rearranging - finally Syncing to a new profile
    -Wiping out bookmarks on System Two
    -Syncing System Two

Server side replication lag?
    I changed my password and found a significant replication lag; one that wasn't there when the profile was created. Does anyone have any safe guidelines about update lag time?

FINALLY:
    Any tools suggestions for managing bookmarks? Mostly I want to expose duplicates. Is there a path type add-in, like "show parent folder" but for all the parents?

TIA
    Last edited by daddy-o; 2014-05-22 at 12:00.

2. Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Round One
    I haven't deliberately worked on this yet but I did stumble into something. And separately, I have decided to ease the process by testing with profiles instead of edit > sync > wipe > sync from PC to PC. That seems to give me flexibility in the approach, kind of 'edit anywhere, create new profile, export, import to new profile management' process.

Discovery Bookmarks are not necessarily duplicated.
    After setting up the PC with the Microsoft migration tool I found the bookmarks weren't in place. I imported them using HTML into a couple of folders that had obvious meaning to me, in the root of the Bookmarks Menu. Some time later I restored them using a JSON file, opening up the possibility of major duplicate bookmarks. Several empty folders were created in root that corresponded to imported folders. Rather than duplicate entries, they were not copied and the local original was kept. That goes along with Firefox behavior that I've seen before, i.e. you start to bookmark something a second time and the dialog box shows the location in your bookmark tree instead of the default Bookmarks Menu. However I don't think this eliminates the profile switching for testing or the need to eventually wipe clean and sync because the moves would be ignored in the sync and the current local location would be kept.

I'll post updates with better notes. If my predictions are wrong I'll point it out.
    Last edited by daddy-o; 2014-05-25 at 18:13. Reason: completeness

New Lounger
    Thanks

Pretty happy without effort, 1 1/2 irritations

I'm just using sync on two systems and it's been working out pretty well.

After the initial "big Sync" where it gave me a bunch of empty folders in bookmarks root, ones that corresponded to populated folders elsewhere in the bookmarks tree, Sync has performed the way I want it to without any effort, period. Irritation "1" was the creation of the folders.

Irritation 1/2 is occasionally Sync will lock up the bookmarks while it syncs up. So if I'm rearranging things the view will freeze up for a moment and I'll need to pause.

I'm always logged into the Sync server, so I can't report on what happens for situations where it's not always logged on. Something tells me it won't behave outrageously but it might cause a double take every once in a while.