Thread: Combo box limit

New Lounger
    Thanks

Combo box limit

I'm working my way through converting a hodgepodge of tables at my local historical society into a relational database. I've combined all the various iterations of names into one table, removed duplicates, and set up a concatenated query for a combo box to display them. There are a total of 73453 rows in the query. I can type a name and get any name in the query if I get all the spaces, etc correct. I can use the combo box drop down list but it will only show names to row 65537, so once I get to Taylor, Sharon, I can't see any name below it in the drop down. What might be the cause and is there a solution?

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I won't be of much help, but I believe we need more info.

Are you working in Excel, or Access, and which version? An Excel 2010 worksheet shows over 1,000,000 rows in a blank sheet.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,457 Times in 1,326 Posts
    Sueri,

The combo box is limited to 64K (65,535) records. Here's a workaround which may work for you or may not! HTH
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Sorry, I know better. I'm using Access 2010. It looks like Retired Geek has answered the question.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thank you. This has answered my question. I've saved the tips on how to do this. What I'm trying to do at the moment is get the names into 4 columns connected to the names table, so that I'm connecting names with an entry. Then I can export them to make a linked table with the entry primary key and then the name primary key. It is the only way I've figured out how to get them connected. I want a subform where I can have several names linked to one entry greatly reducing errors. The people were typing in each field for each entry just like one would with Excel. The amount of errors generated was truly amazing.

I have places, sources, extractors, and other tables connected to entries, but haven't connected the biggest table, names, yet. Once that happens, I'll be back with more questions. Thank you very much.