Thanks

Password Managers

A friend of mine recently put me onto Keepass to store the myriad of web sites and related logins and passwords you need to remember these days.

If you already know about it (or use something else) then this wont be of interest to you, but if like me, these passwords are a pain then this software (free / donation) is worth having a look at.

http://keepass.info/news/n140413_2.26.html

It only records the details as you enter them and there is no automatic update function (like a browser's password manager). The encryption looks secure (to my layman's eyes), but techo types may disagree.

What I find helpful too is the 'Notes' section. I've recorded prompts such as where to go within the particular web site so you can change their password. They are all different, some are 'Settings' or 'Preferences' or 'My Profile'. One of mine you have to change the password before you even log in. I find I spend so much time trying to find where the password change options are hiding, that you avoid changing them as often as you should.

I have called my database something that is very plain with the master password 'cunningly' included as part of the name, so I wont forget it. (hiding in plain sight so to speak). Something like 'Christmas Card List for December 2014' and the password would be something like 'card2014'. I'm hoping people wont think to look (or hack) into this file (although the extension does give it away a bit). The password is staring at me right in the face but hopefully to nobody else. Well that's the theory at least. (the file is not called that by the way).

Yeah okay, so I'm an Agatha Christie fan. Miss Marple would spot the ruse immediately no doubt.

Anyway, I thought I would let you know about it. Let me know what you think.
    Last edited by Chrisso; 2014-05-23 at 20:00. Reason: add text

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks
    You can also store attachments and view them securely.

cheers, Paul

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul T View Post
    You can also store attachments and view them securely.

cheers, Paul
    That's interesting, I've been using KeePass for several years and didn't know about that function.

Could you explain the process please?

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks
    V2 only, when editing the record click the Advanced tab. Once attached you can use the context menu to view the attachment using the internal viewer or save it encrypted to disk and open in an external program.

cheers, Paul

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Paul T For This Useful Post:

Trev (2014-05-23)

Thanks
    Thanks Paul for pointing me in that direction. I hadn't explored that option yet and its handy to attach my old spreadsheet and Word documents as backup. Cool. Thanks.

I've also discovered over the week-end that you can create your own folders and import your favorite icons. Its a little thing but makes it easier to spot the sites where you have just changed a password. (assuming you have used the same icon of course).

One thing I wouldn't mind in a future version is to be able to globally change all passwords within the database. Everybody has their own system of creating passwords and mine is to include the date of the day I changed them. It reminds me of how old they are getting and it eventually prompts me into changing them. I use the same format in every password but include something unique from the particular site as well. It means however that when you come to change them all (and it takes some hours) you cannot then bulk change them in this database (like you can in a spreadsheet or Word document).

I've played around with exporting the database into CSV format, making the change in Excel and importing it again. It works but unfortunately you lose all your formatting.

Anyhow, thanks again for the tip.

Cheers

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks
    You can set the entry to expire when you want to change the password, but why bother with changing them when they are already secure - except maybe banking for peace of mind?

If you export to V2 XML and then edit you retain all information.

cheers, Paul

Thanks
    Hey Paul, this is fantastic !!

It worked like a charm.

The Export and Import (with edits) V2 XML was perfect. My problem is solved !!

I was mucking around with CSV files and gave up thinking it was not possible. They work, but don't keep your formatting. This is great.

Take a bow my friend (that loud applause you hear is me )

Cheers and many thanks, Chrisso