New Lounger
    Thanks

Use of a template for new sheet in Excel 2010

Hello,

I'm using the French version of Excel 2010 under the French version of Windows 7 Professional. Both are fully patched.

I'm trying to set up a personalized cell format for every new sheet added to a workbook.

There's surprisingly little documentation about this for Excel 2010 in English and even less for Excel 2010 in French (for which I found a single relevant, but incomplete, page in Google).

I posted here on answers.microsoft.com, but the reply was inconclusive.

I'll restate the questions for the English version of Excel 2010:

1. Can a default cell format be applied to a new sheet in the English version of Excel 2010?
    2. Should the template be named "Sheet.xltx"?
    3. Where should the template be stored?
    4. How must the new sheet be added for the template to be applied?

If a template can indeed be created for a new sheet in the English version of Excel 2010, it should work in the French version. Can someone confirm it does work in the English version?

TIA and regards, AndyA

Thanks
    To answer your questions for XL2010 in Eng.:
    1) yes a default cell format can be applied to a new sheet. I tested changing all the cells to yellow
    2) yes. It must be Sheet.xltx for a default worksheet [and Book.xltx for the default workbook.]
    3) C:\Users\{username}\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Exce l\XLSTART [replace {username} with your username...]
    4) The usual ways of adding a new worksheet. "Insert Worksheet" button, Alt-<F11>, right-click tabs - Insert- worksheet, etc

I created a worksheet, changed all the cell formatting to yellow background and red text, saved as a template named sheet.xltx in the XLSTART folder. I closed excel, then reopened it, in the workbook created, I inserted a new sheet the various ways and the yellow colored sheet was inserted. so it seems to work as I expect it to.

Steve

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for your quick reply, Steve.

I did all that in the French version, except I named the sheet "Feuille.xltx", but it had no effect. (I also tried "Sheet.xltx".)

Either the French version for "sheet" is other than "feuille" or it's a bug in the French version. FWIW, the French equivalent for "Book.xltx" is "Classeur.xltx" and that worked on new workbooks created when Excel opened.

regards, AndyA

Thanks
    What is the default sheet name in the French version? I would speculate take the number off the sheet name (though I sense that is what you have already done...).

Is it "Feuille" (You may want to check the capitalization though I do not believe this would be an issue) or something else? Sorry I could not be of any more help...

Steve

Thanks
    Thanked 1,457 Times in 1,326 Posts
    Andy,

Maybe you should try "plaque.xlsx" per this translation or one of the other options listed. HTH
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

New Lounger
    Thanks
    My use of "Feuille.xltx" came from this Microsoft Office article for Excel 2007 -- see element #5, which specifies "Classeur.xltx" and "Feuille.xltx". In French, a sheet is commonly called a "feuille", so I doubt another word would be used. (I'm living in France and am fluent in French.) Of course, I'll give "plaque" a try.

Note to sdckapr -- I tried lower case. It had no effect. Thanks, of course, for the suggestion.

Now that I know that Excel 2010 works in English, I can better judge behavior of the French version during my tests. For completeness, if I find the answer, I'll post it here.

regards, AndyA

New Lounger
    Thanks
    The answer was provided here.

The template name must be "Feuil.xltx". The required template name is not widely known. I found a single reference to it.

regards, AndyA