2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Location of Word 2010 Templates

Hi to all,

Because of the end of support I recently changed over from Word 2003 to Word 2010 and find there are some things I would like to customize to make the program more usable. I regularly use several different page formats and would like to locate their templates where they can easily be chosen. When I go into File>New>Available Templates>Home I find 6 options from ‘Blank Document’ to ‘New from existing’. The My Templates only contains the ‘Blank Document’, ‘Blog Post’ - I have no idea what that is or what it’s for and Sample Templates shows 50+ templates none of which I can ever see ever using. I would like to add my custom formats but have been unable to find where the folder holding these options are located and if it is possible to change, modify or delete them. I have tried the Windows 8.1 Search option to find the location with no luck. Can anyone tell me how to make the templates I want to show up in the Home selections? Also, is it possible to have them appear in the ‘Home Styles Area’ of the ribbon?

Respectfully, Graphics Guy
    Running Windows 8.1 on a DELL XPS 8500 computer.

Thanks
    The default location depends both on your version of Word and your operating system. This is the folder in which the normal.dotm template is stored. How to Find or Open the Normal Template.

You can set your templates folder, though, to be any folder you want. I keep mine in a subfolder of my documents. Your templates folder should not be your documents folder itself, the Word Startup Folder, or the Workgroup Templates folder (if you have one).

You can see and change folder locations under File>Options>Advanced. The button for file locations is at the bottom of this lengthy dialog.

You can get the access to your custom templates that you had in earlier versions more easily by modifying your QAT or using a keyboard shortcut. File New variations in versions of Microsoft Word.
    Charles Kyle Kenyon
    Madison, Wisconsin

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Charles Kenyon For This Useful Post:

Graphics Guy (2014-05-23),sffrog (2014-05-30)

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi,

Thanks for the speedy reply.
    I clicked on your links and found out there is a lot of information available about Word Templates and it will take me some time to research it all and figure out how it applies to my problem, plus I have to find out what QAT means. You have given me a great start to find out what I need. I no longer have WORD 2003 that I loved and basically understood on my computer but I do have my Letterhead and other customized templates I use saved on a DVD. Now I have to learn how to convert them to WORD 2010 and install them on my computer.
    Thanks again, you have been a big help.
    Respectfully, Graphics Guy

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    QAT = Quick Access Toolbar - By default it's the short toolbar above the Tabs "Home, Insert...", click the weird symbol at the end of the line (like a downward pointing triangle) and it gives you some quick customizations and access to "More Commands".

To convert your templates you only have to open them and resave them as .dotx (plain templates), or .dotm (templates with macros').

To find where your files are located by default, click File, Options, Advanced, Scroll to the bottom and select "File Locations..."

6. The Following User Says Thank You to BigMac56 For This Useful Post:

sffrog (2014-05-30)