Lounger
    Thanks

Can XP Be shielded from internet?

Is there a way to keep my XP machines on my home network ( a mix of W8.1, W7, Vista, and XP ) and block only XP from the internet?
    For me to upgrade all of the software, it is just too expensive - ( I have 15 computers, 9 of which are XPP)

Harv
    Last edited by HarvM; 2014-05-24 at 12:14. Reason: spelling

2. Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks
    Your router may be able to prevent access by filtering the MAC address. If not and you have a spare PC and 2 network cards, you can use m0n0wall to do the filtering.

cheers, Paul

Thanks
    Harv,

I'm not sure if this will do what you want or if it will also disconnect you from the other computers on your LAN (I no longer have an XP machine to check it out) but a quick test on one machine should let you know. Here's How. HTH
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

VBA Rules!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    This is what I did om my XP VM In XP go into the Network Adapter Properties and find the Internet Protocol you are using and go into Properties. Then give it a fixed IP address. Fill in the Subnet Mask with your numbers. Leave the Default Gateway Blank. Then change to Use DNS Server and leave both blank. That allows network but access blocks Firefox, IE, and programs from updating.
    Joe

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Also if you run standard or limited accounts and don't use I.E. 8 (Chrome will need admin rights to run at least the first time), don't open any attachments or download rogue .pdf files, no P2P sharing/downloading, and don't click on any popups that are not self-initiated, you are still approximately 99.99% good to go with XP (I'm running 7 of them).

If other folks are running these systems, put a DeepFreeze or Returnil type program on it and run limited accounts...they can do no permanent damage that way and only current session data loss is at risk. There are definitely plenty of tools available to run XP perfectly safely on the Internet. I'll let everyone know if I ever get my first XP (or any OS) infection.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks
    DeepFreeze is very good at locking computers down. We installed it at several locations and one determined user spent 3 days attempting to defeat it before giving up.

cheers, Paul

Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks Geek,
    I tried the "here's how". I got to the Advanced tab, but I did not see "Internet Connection Firewall," so could not "select one of the following":

The other posts I have not tried yet.

Thanks
    This is how I did it - seems to have worked, although I now rarely use my XP boot.

http://windowssecrets.com/newsletter...upport/#story2

(Scroll down to "More ways to secure Windows XP systems" where you set up a dummy proxy with a local bypass)