Star Lounger
    Thanks

Will I lose my Local Account if I open a Microsoft Account?

I recently purchased a Windows 8 laptop which I have since updated to Windows 8.1 Update. When setting it up, I decided to login with a Local Account. I uninstalled most of the Microsoft apps, because I prefer to use my desktop email, browser, etc. programs. However, there are a few games in the Store I'd like to install, because their counterparts are on my Windows 7 desktop.

The Microsoft Store won't let me install additional apps, or even replace the ones I uninstalled, unless I open a Microsoft Account. If I do that, will I still be able to log into my laptop with my Local Account when I don't want to use the Microsoft Store (which will be most of the time)? Also, will Microsoft start pestering me with ads or making any changes to my computer if I open one of their accounts? I really don't need another email account and I don't intend to use OneDrive.

Thanks
    Yes....you can switch between the two accounts.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tuto...soft-accounts/

Thanks
    You don't have to switch between PC account logins as Bassfisher's link shows. You just have to create a Microsoft account and login to it (not the PC Microsoft account login bassfisher is talking about) each time you use the store or a Microsoft Game. You will pickup a Microsoft Outlook email account and access to Onedrive but you don't have to use them if you don't want to. You might want to use the Outlook email account as a junk account when a web site requests an email address and you are worried about the possibility of spam.

Jerry

Thanks
    What Jerry said. You can create a Microsoft Account without going through Windows to do it. For example, you can go to Microsoft Community, create an account there, and that account will be recognized when you want to use the Store.

I login using a local account. My Microsoft Account (that I've had for a few years) is not a Microsoft email address.
    Last edited by bbearren; 2014-05-26 at 00:25.
    Create a new drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"Let them that don't want it have memories of not gettin' any." "Gratitude is riches and complaint is poverty and the worst I ever had was wonderful." Brother Dave Gardner "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else." Sir Thomas Robert Deware. "The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Do you understand?" Captain Jack Sparrow.
    Unleash Windows

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks everyone. I followed Jerry's advice, but using an existing junk email account. Got into the Store and installed the apps I wanted. The first time I ran each app it asked for my Microsoft Account and gave to option to Save the Information. I'm continuing to use my Local Account for signing into my PC, and the new apps I installed open just like the rest of my programs. Exactly the way I wanted.