Lounger
    Thanks

Firefox process not closing

Does anyone know how to ensure that Firefox close down when clicking on the Close X. I have noticed that probably 9 out of 10 times, Firefox remains open as a process and Taskmanager has to be used to close the process before firefox will open again. Does not seem to happen with File > Exit.

2. Subscribe to our Windows Secrets Newsletter - It's Free!

Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Hello......
    This happens to me also but not that much...... I simply run cCleaner and it directs me to turn off any remaining Firefox processes and then cleans me up good from using the computer..... I know that it's a small headache but it's killing two birds with one stone....... Good luck.....

4. The Following User Says Thank You to JOERICEIII For This Useful Post:

hubyster (2014-05-25)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Greetings,
    Making this batch file with a shortcut on the Desktop works for me fairly painlessly. In a text editor type the following 2 lines:

TASKKILL /T /F /IM Firefox.exe

exit

Save it in Documents, rename the extension .txt to .bat and send a shortcut to the desktop. Double-clicking forces Firefox closed and life goes on.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi there Hubyster,
    Yes I find that Firefox occasionally closes it's browser window but leaving the Firefox process running. With me it's fairly infrequent. A quick trip to Task Manager/Processes and its gone. It's a long standing problem that seems to have eluded many people to find. It seems worse if the Firefox process is receiving data or still trying to send data when you try to close it! I find that leaving it open all the time (unless it crashes for some obscure reason) helps to avoid the problem! Shutdown or reboot doesn't seem to worry about it. If it does crash with a semi-transparent white screen, it very often seems able to recover from this situation. So don't be in too much of a hurry!

Ewhaley has a good idea, has just one less mouse clicks as my version but puts another desktop icon in. Depends how cluttered you desktop is I suppose.
    Good luck but keep reporting to Mozilla.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    i always do ctl alt del to bring up the task manager and park it for future use

if firefox hangs you may find it there and can tell TM to end it

i only have that problem when shutting down the pc
    and it may be an interaction between winxpprosp3 and various security software
    although it could just be a remnant ms bug

Quote Originally Posted by hubyster View Post
    Does anyone know how to ensure that Firefox close down when clicking on the Close X. I have noticed that probably 9 out of 10 times, Firefox remains open as a process and Taskmanager has to be used to close the process before firefox will open again. Does not seem to happen with File > Exit.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Lately, I have been having the same problem myself. I have a WinX,P and a Win7 pc both running the latest version of Firefox 29.0.1. This has happened to me infrequently on both pcs. I have Malwarebytes Free 2.0.1.1004, Microsoft Security Essentials, along with Trustwave Secure Browsing extension on both pcs for protection. It hasn't happened enough to be other than a minor annoyance. What I have done is just right-click on the bottom taskbar and left-click start task manager which reveals that Firefox is still running. In one instance it has helped me in indicating that the misses picked up spyware from a coupon website on the XP machine. Another instance on the XP pc was after I had printed a coupon from a popular import tool discount store. An easy scan with Malwarebytes revealed what was keeping Firefox running, and made quick work of cleaning it up. Just recently, it revealed an update for Malwarebytes to 2.0.2.1012 which I'm doing right now on the XP machine. I had just updated Malwarebytes 2 days ago on my Win7 machine. So in conclusion, I will consider this minor annoyance as a benefit alarm that something needs attention on the pc.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Try the add-on "Exit Button Firefox 0.4.3". You can put it in several places on your screen, and it seems to work well. You can also kill just about any process using WinPatrol.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for the info. I will wait and see if and when this particular Firefox issue happens again; and then I will install the "Exit Button" if needed. It may just be a bug that Firefox may fix in a future update. As far as WinPatrol, is there an advantage to having that utility over MS Task Manager?

Thanks
    There's some crossover but WinPatrol makes a very useful addition to your security, especially if you don't use any HIPS yet.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I will look into WinPatrol. My limited understanding of HIPS involves using a Firewall. I do have the Firewalls enabled in the Windows XP and Windows 7 machines along what is provided in Microsoft Security Essentials. I'm using a D-Link DIR-615 router. I might be able to tweak some of the settings in the router that might provide additional protection but I don't want to limit access to the internet for either pc or wifi devices. If there is a setting modification in my router that might help, please let me know.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Firefox is slow to exit, that's all. You can go kill the process in Task Manager if you want, but I've found if you give it 3 to 5 seconds, it'll do that itself. Noticed that on shutdown and experimenting - when you update something and get a "Firefox is running" error, then try the same thing in a few seconds and it works. So, that's all it is, slow to completely shutdown but it will do it without help if you wait a few seconds - which I admit is tough in the world we live in today where are impatient after 1.5 seconds, or less, for virtually everything. :^)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Actually my experience was a little different, let me explain. After I'm done on the internet, I will log out of any websites that I happened to be logged into. Then I close the Firefox browser using the "X" close window. The first time the problem came to my attention was when the misses tried to click on the browser icon shortcut to go on the internet. She got a pop up notice that said something of the sort that unable to start Firefox because the process was already running. Then, for the next couple of weeks, this had happened infrequently to her on the XP machine and a few times to me on the Windows 7 machine. At that point is when I posted on Windows Secrets Lounge. Since then, it hasn't happened since. So, in summery, closing the browser does not bring up any indication that it is still running; it's when you go to open it up again is when the issues "rears its ugly head". I have not noticed any time duration makes a difference, but the fact that it hasn't happened anymore, I have no complaints.