Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    New Lounger
    Thanks

How to move from Ethernet to wireless?

We have just moved to Central America from the US. I had previously used ethernet and had a ISP and had no trouble accessing the internet from any of my 5 computers. Also, the network worked fine. Now in C.A., I have a Mi-Fi and my laptop and tablet have no trouble connecting to it and the internet.

This is my first experience with wireless. My main computer says it doesn't see any connections. First question - do I need a router? If not, how do I get my computer to see the Mi-Fi? Using Windows 7 Professional. Network adapter is: Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller.

When I try the network troubleshooter, it tells me to connect the ethernet cable. No wireless option shows.

Thanks,
    Sheila

2. Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Thanks
    What do you mean by "my main computer" is this a desktop? With desktops, 99% of the time they only have ethernet ports to connect to the router. From what I've read in your post you only have the Verizon Mi-Fi and to connect to that the devices need to have a wireless adapter installed, which you laptop and tablet have. Now you need a wireless adapter for you desktop to connect to the Mi-Fi...any wireless dongle should work but not totally sure. You'll need to contact Verizon if there is a specific dongle needed for your desktop.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    My main computer is a desktop. There is a second desktop that I will also need to connect, but have not set that one up yet.

Are you saying that my currect adaptor (Network adapter is: Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller) cannot be used for wireless? If so, can I get a wireless router that I can cable to the Realtek? Is this a possible solution? Or do I have to get a completely different adaptor?

I'm grasping at straws here since I don't know anything about wireless.

Thanks
    Shelia,

You need to check out your Network Connections to see if your computer's controller has Wireless. I have a Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller and a Dell Wireless adapter in mine. Open up the Network & Sharing Center -> Change adapter settings to see what adapters are installed.
    NetConn.JPG
    If you don't see a Wi-Fi controller then you have to purchase either a add-on board that goes inside your computer or a USB Wi-Fi dongle which you just plug into a USB port. Here's an article with a selection of both types. HTH
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

VBA Rules!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

New Lounger
    Thanks
    The only adapter showing is the Realtek - which seems to mean I have to get a second adapter (wireless). When you say a USB Wi-Fi dongle, I'm guessing that means that my Mobile Wi-Fi doesn't provide the same thing as the dongle you are talking about?

If that is true, then since I am not in the US, I'll have to find an adapter here (Belize, Central America).

Thanks,
    Sheila

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by sheila_c View Post
    The only adapter showing is the Realtek - which seems to mean I have to get a second adapter (wireless). When you say a USB Wi-Fi dongle, I'm guessing that means that my Mobile Wi-Fi doesn't provide the same thing as the dongle you are talking about?

If that is true, then since I am not in the US, I'll have to find an adapter here (Belize, Central America).

Thanks,
    Sheila
    For a WiFi connection, you need a wireless adapter in BOTH the desktop computers and the MyFi, and you only have it in the MyFi. A wireless adapter which plugs into a USB port on the desktops would be the simplest solution for you.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thank you - I'll get one today for my desktop.

Thanks
    do I need a router?
    The mi-fi device is your router. The only thing you need, as stated previously, is a wireless adapter for your desktop computer.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks to all - I purchased a USB wireless adapter (Linskys) and am now connected.

Sheila

New Lounger
    Thanks

Another option

Just an FYI, but you could have also bought a wireless access point. It looks like a wireless router, but instead of sourcing the wifi, it receives it and then has ethernet ports to connect your device. The advantage is they usually have 4 ethernet ports and can connect several devices simultaneously (like blu-ray, roku, tv, and desktop.)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I like the wireless access point solution better because she mentioned that she has more than one desktop.
    Had she used this option, her other desktop(s) could be connected (Ethernet), and no dongles needed.
    Too late now (unless Sheila can return the dongle and get a wireless access point device instead), but this may benefit future users needing help.

Thanks
    Sh,

The dongle is to give her computer wireless capability (it was not builtin) without it there is no way she could connect wirelessly. HTH
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

VBA Rules!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Now that I can connect each of my computers wirelessly to the internet via the mi-fi, I can connect them to each other (2 at a time) with ethernet cables. It would be nice to connect all 3 at once, though. Is there a router that can do this with my current set up?

Sheila

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by sheila_c View Post
    Now that I can connect each of my computers wirelessly to the internet via the mi-fi, I can connect them to each other (2 at a time) with ethernet cables. It would be nice to connect all 3 at once, though. Is there a router that can do this with my current set up?

Sheila
    If you want to connect the three to each other, all you need is a "switch", not a router. Here is one which would be fine for connecting the three computers to each other:
    http://www.netgear.com/home/products...#tab-techspecs

Each computer would simply plug into the switch using an ethernet cable; the switch would manage all of the communication between the computers. There is no simpler way to do it.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    What am I missing here? With all computers connected to the same wireless router, can't they be used as a workgroup, with file and printer sharing, etc.?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast