Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    It would also help to know the type and model of laptop, plus the wifi software in use, to see if it had tools to limit the connection.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,148 Times in 1,057 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jwitalka View Post
    Doesn't happen on my Windows 8 laptop. The Wireless connection is not active when I plug in a wired connection. I haven't used a Windows 7 wireless connection in awhile but I would be surprised if it happens in Windows 7. The How to Geek makes the same recommendation and doesn't say anything about a wireless/wired conflict:
    http://www.howtogeek.com/117083/how-...d-of-wireless/

If I was the OP, I would try it and see how it works out before resorting to the other methods.

Jerry
    Windows 8 won't even connect wirelessly, if there is a hardwired connection. That's one of 8's improvements over older versions.
    Rui
    -------
    R4

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    I've just tried it on my Win 7 and I've still got 5 full bars in the system tray without any alerts - still reckon that disabling the wireless adapter in Device Management is the easiest way.

Edit -

Just as an after thought - when you wire up a Win 8 machine, can a wireless printer still see the computer ?
    Last edited by Sudo15; 2014-05-26 at 16:35.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Sudo15 View Post
    I've just tried it on my Win 7 and I've still got 5 full bars in the system tray without any alerts - still reckon that disabling the wireless adapter in Device Management is the easiest way.

Edit -

Just as an after thought - when you wire up a Win 8 machine, can a wireless printer still see the computer ?
    It depends -- is your wireless printer connected wirelessly to the router, or wirelessly to the computer? If it is connected wirelessly to the router, then it makes no difference what you do with the computer's wireless connection, as long as the computer is connected in some way (e.g. wired) to the router.

Administrator
    Thanks
    My wireless printer is available to my Windows 8 laptop without any issues. The laptop is connected through Ethernet and wireless is never active when that happens. It works just as Jim described.
    Rui
    -------
    R4

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ruirib View Post
    Windows 8 won't even connect wirelessly, if there is a hardwired connection. That's one of 8's improvements over older versions.
    Not only won't it connect if Ethernet is present but if connected to Wi-Fi and then Ethernet is turned on the Wi-Fi automatically disconnects! HTH
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

VBA Rules!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

Administrator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by RetiredGeek View Post
    Not only won't it connect if Ethernet is present but if connected to Wi-Fi and then Ethernet is turned on the Wi-Fi automatically disconnects! HTH
    Indeed. That's one thing Windows 8 does well (among many other things). Who could have imagined it? .
    Rui
    -------
    R4

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for the clarification.

I've just checked mine with the laptop wired and wireless disconnected at the system tray and it printed okay as well.

I never bother disabling the wireless on the odd occasion that I wire up and have never noticed any problems, but have seen the router system log get quite chatty continually confirming the LAN and Wireless connections.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Retired Geek - thank you for the comprehensive solution, which I may take a few days to contemplate. It's fairly far into my confidence boundary and I assume that I can just delete the script if it has unintended consequences. I'll post back if I use it.

Roderunner - I found this and tried it before making my original post, and saw no effect at all.

JWitalka - the How-to-Geek process looks like the same as Roderunner's suggestion.

Other posters - many thanks for your suggestions, including the pointers towards Occam's razor.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnFleming View Post

Roderunner - I found this and tried it before making my original post, and saw no effect at all.
    It works perfectly on my laptop, wireless when not connected, ethernet when connected by cable.
    George's PC Specs. / Laptop. Desktop.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Jerry:

My Lenovo E430 (Win 7 Pro 64 bit) was already set as described in the howtogeek article. Still only accesses via the WiFi.

Harry

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by hmw View Post
    Jerry:

My Lenovo E430 (Win 7 Pro 64 bit) was already set as described in the howtogeek article. Still only accesses via the WiFi.

Harry
    In Win 7, unless wireless is disconnected, disabled or switched off using the F keys, the router's DHCP will still assign the Wireless adapter with an IP address and give you WiFi even when wired, but are you saying that with WiFi disabled that it won't connect when wired ?

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    In Win 7, unless wireless is disconnected, disabled or switched off using the F keys, the router's DHCP will still assign the Wireless adapter with an IP address and give you WiFi even when wired, but are you saying that with WiFi disabled that it won't connect when wired ?
    Jerry:

No, what I was saying was that following the geek article for changing priority and timing did not do it.

This morning I searched and found my Lenovo .pdf Manual. F9 opens a screen which lets you turn wireless on or off. I turned it off, and now I get my ethernet connection.

Harry

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    In Win7 you should only need to right-click the network icon on the taskbar in the lower right corner near the clock, click (left) "Open Network and Sharing Center", click on "Connect or Disconnect", click on your wireless connection and click "Disconnect". Or GoTo Control Panel/Network and Sharing Center.

Best to do the above *after* you have plugged in the ethernet cable.

Should stay connected via cable until you disconnect the cable, when it should once again connect via the wireless connection (might take a minute or two).

If the wireless connection doesn't launch automatically you might have to go back into Network and Sharing Center and connect manually.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12