4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Registry hack enables continued updates for Windows XP

This is very interesting, but it can't last long. I'm sure Microsoft knows about it by now, and will find a way to cut it off. Soon.

Registry hack enables continued updates for Windows XP
    Summary: A single registry setting makes Windows Update think your XP system is Windows XP POSReady, which will receive updates for another five years.
    By Larry Seltzer

http://www.zdnet.com/registry-hack-e...xp-7000029851/

2. Subscribe to our Windows Secrets Newsletter - It's Free!

Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I performed the registry hack, and ran Microsoft Update.

It seems to work as advertised, although I haven't decided whether to download the updates yet.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Just saw this myself. I wonder if Microsoft will look the other way. If so, XP now has a new life until 2019. Will now have to re-enable updates. lol

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    It works for my XP VM, but thinking about just hosing the VM back to before the hack since I'm happy that my VM can be quickly recovered from any attack and I stopped using IE8 too.

Thanks
    The thing to remember with this hack is, MS is still letting the current XP users download the current updates it has in it's data base. The key is, MS is not releasing any new XP updates. So when MS completely shuts off the current updates the hack will be useless. There's been a few articles on this already, and the general consensus it to download them now and save to a flash drive or DVD for safe keeping. Once MS turns it off, they are off for good....just like 95, 98, 98SE, 2000 and Me.

As you can see here....there's no mention of support for the above mentioned OS's.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/lifecycle
    Last edited by bassfisher6522; 2014-05-26 at 14:51.