New Lounger
    Thanks

How to block ALL internet traffic except one port and app

I have a business voice-mail program that runs poorly on windows 7, but great on XP. So I have it standalone on an old netbook running XP SP3. Is there a way to configure the windows firewall to block ALL INTERNET TRAFFIC except the voice-mail server? (I check voice-mail from my house.) I tried renaming iexplore.exe and it keeps restoring itself when I test!

Don in Austin

2. Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks
    The advanced settings on Windows Firewall allow you to set specific inbound and outbound rules so you should be able to limit what happens, but any compromised machine will have the firewall disabled. Better to let your router do that job, if it can. The alternative is a packet filter such as m0n0wall - requires an old PC and 2 network cards.

cheers, Paul

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Do you need the netbook connected to the network?

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    In Control Panel, Network Connections, right-click Local Area Connection and choose Properties.
    Select TCP/IP and click the Properties button.
    Click the Advanced button.
    Click the Options tab.
    Highlight TCP/IP filtering and click the Properties button.
    You should be able to filter out all traffic except the voice-mail server.