4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Need a pop-up ad blocker

I am running into pop-ups with greater frequency now when I surf the Web. Can anyone suggest a good pop-up blocker? Thanks for your help.

2. Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Thanks
    Moon,

If you're using FireFox I'd recommend AdBlock Plus addin. HTH
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

VBA Rules!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

Administrator
    Thanks
    What browser are you using?

Joe

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    It could be worth running AdwCleaner should you have picked something up.

AdBlock Plus also works in IE but it can interfere on some sites that have dynamic info by blocking it.
    Last edited by Sudo15; 2014-05-27 at 06:56.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    At home we use Google Chrome browser. The most popular free "extension" is called AdBlock and it's very effective. (Sometimes you may be on a webpage where you want to allow a popup, and it allows you to pause AdBlock or just not run on that page. Very handy!) There's also AdBlock Plus, but we've been happy with AdBlock so haven't tried the Plus version. You can add extensions to Chrome by clicking on the 3 little bars at the top right corner of the browser window. In the drop-down menu which appears select TOOLS then Extensions. When the Extensions page opens click on "Get more extensions" at the bottom of the page. When the Store window opens type AdBlock into the little search window at the top left side of the page. Don't get too carried away with adding lots of extensions or add-ons because that will make your browser slow down when loading web pages, but on the TOOLS/Extensions page you can check a box to enable/disable an extension whenever you want.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    moon: I'm using Emsisoft as my anti-virus and it has a feature that allows you to block sites. When I get a pop-up I ad its URL address into the Emsisoft Host Rules and select the "Hide Silently" option and I never see that pop-up again. I'm not sure if other anti-virus programs have that feature or not, but you might want to check.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Any suggestions for one that works with IE (a free one, hopefully)

Mel

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by compiler View Post
    Any suggestions for one that works with IE (a free one, hopefully)

Mel
    IE has a perfectly good pop-up blocker built in at Internet Options, Privacy tab.

Bruce

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Bruce:

It is on, but seems to do a lousy job, especially on Yahoo.com. I keep getting these large and annoying ads at top of page

Mel

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Bruce:

It is on, but seems to do a lousy job, especially on Yahoo.com. I keep getting these large and annoying ads at top of page

Mel
    Give Adblock Plus a try as previously suggested, but as I had found, if a website/page includes dynamic info then it can block that also.

Lounger
    Thanks
    We use Adblock with both IE and with Chrome. Certainly does a better job on Chrome. It does a great job, but has it's glitches, so if you're having problems with a site, just select, "don't run on this page" and it will let you see it. Also, we've had problems with it stopping strange things, like our computer post-it notes, from popping up as they normally did (in case you notice anything strange going on with your computer).
    Erin Walsh,
    Director of PR-Boost Software
    www.boostsoftware.com

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I have adblock plus in my IE and it works well. I never see any annoying ads in whatever site I browse.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I see little or no improvement. I added AdBlock Plus to my IE.
    Still, when I get on Yahoo.com (my homepage), I get that annoying ad at the top of the screen. I can X-it out and close that ad, but it is annoying.

Any tweaking I can do?

Mel

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    I see little or no improvement. I added AdBlock Plus to my IE.
    Still, when I get on Yahoo.com (my homepage), I get that annoying ad at the top of the screen. I can X-it out and close that ad, but it is annoying.

Any tweaking I can do?

Mel
    I see what you mean about the pop up advert.

I've changed my home page to www.yahoo.com and installed ABP and get an annoying pop up for Hilton hotels on the UK site but it's okay on the US site with just the rolling news items.

When you're using Firefox, there's a small red ABP icon in the top right of the menu bar which has a drop down but I think it's just for exclusions.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    I got a belated pop up window in IE to tell me to enable the Status bar and right clicking on the icon gives options for Settings but they are just for exclusions as well.

Update on this - when I changed the home page from www.yahoo.com to www.yahoo.co.uk there were no pop up adverts.

It was only when I had the home page set to .com which is for the US site that I got the Hilton advert when using the flag to change the nationality to the UK, but this didn't happen when using the flag when set to .co.uk - so I don't have an answer for that.
    Last edited by Sudo15; 2014-06-11 at 17:13.