New Lounger
    Thanks

Question desktop URL shortcut w/username and password

Hi guys,
    Got a problem with a (probably easy) needed solution.
    I want to create a desktop shortcut to Google that will enter the username and password automagically.

The background is that we are starting a business and want to share a google calendar between several people. Some people already have a Google calendar that they prefer to keep separate from this business one so they have created a separate account. In Win8, I get an account chooser when I go to the google sign-in page. In Win7 this does not seem to work and that user has to click on "add account" then type in the username and password, when they sign out of that account Google only displays their primary account, not both primary and business.

My thought for a work-around is to create a desktop shortcut that will launch the browser, go to Google, fill in the username and password and open the Calendar with one click but I don't know what the special characters, or escape codes, or what-ever to allow me to do this.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.
    -Pete-

Thanks
    In Google Calendar on the left hand side is a link 'Other calendars'. Your workers need to type in the work email or name (assuming it's in their contacts) and an email will be sent asking for that person's permission for your worker to view the work calendar. They can assign different colours to each Calendar. I assume this might be what you want. You don't need to login, it's always there, though I think you can temporarily remove it from view.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    What I've done for many of the sites I use that need logging in is to get logged in then move the mouse pointer to the little icon at the left end of the URL/Address and drag it either to the Favorites/Links bar or even to the Desktop. Most sites will allow it as long as the Remember Me item is checked [if the page has one]. I do have one site that remembers me but I still have to click the login button, it's mostly up to how that site has their pages written..

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Sorry Access-mdb no, we've got that part okay. What I need is something for a total noob to just click and have the computer do everything for them.
    Last edited by Pete Suchon; 2014-05-27 at 13:32.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Berton View Post
    What I've done for many of the sites I use that need logging in is to get logged in then move the mouse pointer to the little icon at the left end of the URL/Address and drag it either to the Favorites/Links bar or even to the Desktop.
    All that shows on the left end of the address bar is a padlock icon. I've tried copy/paste of the URL into a shortcut but that only gets me to the site, it does not enter user/password.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Pete Suchon View Post
    Sorry Access-mdb no, we've got that part okay. What I need is something for a total noob to just click and have the computer do everything for them.
    OK, fair enough. Although I would wonder why you would trust a total noob with a computer

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I get your point. Well, it's been a week, no one here has suggested a solution, and my noob has stopped bugging me so apparently entering her user/password isn't as onerous as it first appeared. Thanks for the time and effort.
    -Pete-

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    You need to if the website supports a command line logon. If it does you need to know the variable names used for the userid and password. The userid and password may be encrypted too. So, you need to know that also.

Joe

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    It may be that two different browsers for separate accounts may suffice; the suggestion being Chrome for the one that is shared because Chrome can stay logged into a Google account and the link to Calendar and other apps is right there on a new tab. Updates to Chrome may require signing in again.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Your noob might feel it's less of a chore if she uses Tab to navigate between the fields instead of using the mouse. Now, don't tell me she does that already