2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Windows 7 / Canon iR4035 / Scan To Folder

Hello! I have a client in which we have installed a Windows 7 machine with a static IP address to use as a file server in which documents can be scanned and saved to from a networked Canon iR4035 printer with a static IP Address.

Upon reboot of the Windows 7 file server, the Canon ir4035 can scan to the shared folder on the Windows 7 machine for approximately 2 1/2 hours. After that, the Canon iR4035 can not find the shared folder on the Windows 7 machine.

We had several Windows XP machines in the office with the same issue; they could not see the shared folder after about 2 1/2 hours. We replaced those machines with Windows 7 machines. There is no firmware update for the Canon iR4035.

Advanced Sharing Settings Are As Follows:

- Home or Work Network Profile -
    Network Discovery - On
    File and Printer Sharing - On
    Public Folder Sharing - On
    Media Streaming - Off
    File sharing connections - Enable 40 bit / 56 bit encryption
    Password protected sharing - On
    HomeGroup connections - Use user accounts and passwords to connect to other computers.

- Public Network Profile -
    Network Discovery - On
    File and Printer Sharing - On
    Public Folder Sharing - On
    Media Streaming - On
    File sharing connections - Enable 40 bit / 56 bit encryption
    Password protected sharing - On

It seems strange that it consistently works for 2 1/2 hours and then stops. A reboot of the Windows 7 machine restores the access to the shared folder for the Canon iR4035.

When the Windows XP machines were in play, the connection for those machines would also be restored upon reboot of the Windows 7 machine.

The Windows 7 file server machine has all sleep and hibernation functions switched off. Other Windows 7 machines can continue to connect to the Windows 7 file server with no issues after the printer has lost connectivity.

If anyone has any suggestions on how to make the Windows 7 file server accessible by the Canon iR4035 for more than 2 1/2 hours, I would appreciate it!

Thanks in advance!
    KST

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    UPDATE - The time period does vary. It is not necessarily always 2 1/2 hours. -KST

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Have you done a power reset of the Router [pull the power cord out]? Have you checked for a firmware update for the Router? I had a problem with a Router losing the Wi-Fi once a week which turning off and back on restored. After a month of the issue I found a firmware update and installed it, has been trouble-free for over a year now. Another thought would be something in the power-saving settings for ports on computers and on the Router, something along the line of" allowing this device to turn off to save power". USB ports can display that issue for things that are continuously plugged in such as External HDDs.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thank you Berton. I will check the router. The router has been in place the entire time. The previous file server was a Windows Server 2003 machine, in which there was not issue with scanning to a shared folder, so I have not looked closely at the router. I will check for a firmware update for it.

On the Windows 7 file server, I have scoured all of the power settings I can find to disable them.

Thanks!
    Scott

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I found a 'Page File' error in the Event Viewer about the same time that the scanner quit working.

I have set the Paging file size to 'custom' and increased the maximum size of the page file to 3X the memory size, as recommended by Microsoft.

Does any one have any thoughts on whether a scanner, scanning a large document to file, could cause the scan to file function to stop working if the Paging file size is too small?

Once the scanner stops working, the Windows 7 file server has to be rebooted before it will work again. However, all other Windows 7 machines can still read and write from the Windows 7 file server without reboot.

Still looking for anything that might cause the scanner to stop scanning to a shared folder after a period of time (or amount of data).

Thanks!

New Lounger
    Thanks

Scanning

We have the same exact problem here....did you ever get an answer?
    we notices by restarting the server service on the windows 7 machine scanning came back up
    Brian

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    It is possible that your scanning software has a memory leak.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    no software installed and its 2 scanners. i restart the server service and it works...

New Lounger
    Thanks
    for a few hours it works that is

jwoods
    I would check the Power Options on the file server.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    set everything to on and always

New Lounger
    Thanks
    never believe what fixed it! Gave the server a static IP and bang, worked like a charm, no more dropping off. must be a netbios thing....