Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Do I really need to update from Win 8 to 8.1?

Seeing all the problems with Windows 8.1 updates, I think maybe it would be better if I just stayed with Windows 8. I have installed Cassic Shell so it boots to the desktop and I have a Win7-like start menu. What advantage is there to updating to Win 8.1?
    Bill Meacham
    bmeacham98 AT yahoo.com

2. Subscribe to our Windows Secrets Newsletter - It's Free!

Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    If you've "Windows 7-ized" Win 8 and don't spend much time on the start screen; you've still got a year or so of clean sailing until support ends. As far as I can see 8.1 with Update mostly makes the tile side of things a bit more mouse-friendly and adds a start button with some right click options that I think are probably all a poor substitute for Classic Shell.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by bmeacham View Post
    Seeing all the problems with Windows 8.1 updates, I think maybe it would be better if I just stayed with Windows 8. I have installed Cassic Shell so it boots to the desktop and I have a Win7-like start menu. What advantage is there to updating to Win 8.1?
    I agree with F.U.N. downtown, but also, Windows 8.2 is coming. At this point, I don't know if you will have to first upgrade to 8.1, then 8.1.1, then 8.2, or go direct to 8.2, but if you don't want to do a lot of upgrading wait for 8.2 in case you can upgrade direct to it.

Thanks
    When you upgrade to 8.1 you get 8.1 upgrade (aka 8.1.1).

Thanks
    Short answer is no and you will still be able to receive windows updates.

Thanks
    It is always in your best interests to install all updates.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Do you need to upgrade? Probably NOT. BUT, should you? IMO, YES.

See What's new in Windows 8.1? & What's New in Windows 8.1 for IT Pros for Microsoft's overview of Windows 8.1.

See What’s new in Windows 8.1 Update and Windows RT 8.1 Update? for Microsoft's highlights of the latest patch to Windows 8.1.

Joe

Thanks
    In my case, I had no problems with anything under Windows 8.0. However, when I upgraded to Windows 8.1, I started having issues. Not wanting to spend hours fixing all of the issues, I restored my 8.0 image, and all is well once again.

I use only the desktop interface, not the tile interface, so I can't speak to how things are with the tile interface.

Administrator
    Thanks
    OTOH, I've not had problems on a half dozen systems which I've upgraded.

Joe

Thanks
    Nor on the half dozen systems I've upgraded as well. The older your hardware is, the more likely you are to run into trouble.

Jerry

Thanks
    Yes, it's worth the upgrade...

If you create an image of your Windows 8 installation prior to the upgrade then any potential issues
    related to the upgrade will have been mitigated by the fact that 20 to 30 minutes will get you back to where you started.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Windows 8.1, 64 bit
    Motherboard: DX58SO2*Chipset: X58 Express/Intel ICH10*BIOS: SOX5820J.86A.0888.2012.0129.2203*Processor: Intel Core i7 CPU X 990
    GPU: Nvidia GTX 580*Memory: Corsair 12 GB, 4x3@1600*PSU: Corsair HX1000*Hard drives: REVO X2 160GB*OCZ VERT X3 120GB*5 mechanical storage drives (12 TB) total.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jwitalka View Post
    Nor on the half dozen systems I've upgraded as well. The older your hardware is, the more likely you are to run into trouble.

Jerry
    I have an old, lame system. That probably explains why I had the problems I did with 8.1.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mrjimphelps View Post
    I have an old, lame system. That probably explains why I had the problems I did with 8.1.
    Perhaps the system does not meet the hardware requirements for 8.1. See New Windows 8.1 requirements strand some users on Windows 8.

Joe

Thanks
    To answer the Title Question, in a word, YES. Be it now or later (read, soon) the answer remains, YES. As for the "problems" one reads about in these forums, I have had no such issues w/ any Updates nor have any of my clients.

Everyone here knows I do not recommend adding 3rd party 'start' stuff to Win8. The perceived need for such things is even less than zero w/ 8.1 & 8.1.1

One advantage is there will come a time when you cannot receive any further Updates w/out 8.1

Here are all the cool things of 8.1 described & 8.1.1 brings even more neat items.
    http://windows.microsoft.com/en-CA/windows-8/meet

And, NO, you cannot, will not be able to go to 8.2 from 8.0
    As I said, 8.1 must be installed to attain further Updates

Cheers,
    Drew
    290_Windows8_1.jpg

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    You don't need to do anything until 2015, when Microsoft stops updating Windows 8.0 ... maybe, but since they have changed the hardware requirements for Windows 8.1, and some users can't upgrade from 8.0 to 8.1, it's hard to believe that they will really stop issuing updates until at least two years after Windows 9.0 is released.

For now, if you like it the way it is, I wouldn't worry about it until Microsoft gets a lot closer to ending support.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast