Thread: Stupid Netbook

New Lounger
    Thanks

Stupid Netbook

Alright guys here is my story. I got a netbook from my aunt, its a Toshiba and im pretty sure its ancient. Since it was a gift and shes not too tech savy I decided to figure out how to reinstall windows on a netbook. I succeeded and wiped everything off the computer to start anew. When it first booted I figured I was missing a lot of driver so I went ahead and installed those. Now heres my problem. it asked me to enter my windows activation key, and heres the kicker, it didn't work. So I decided to use belarc and figure out the real product key. Still the key that showed up on belarc was also not good enough for my little netbook. well.... I was pretty lazy and 30 days went by so... here I am locked out of my netbook.

P.S There are two things I remember doing when messing with my computer to fix it. I downloaded a Microsoft key refresher thing and it said my key was already in use. Then when I reinstalled windows instead of creating a new partition I just resinstalled windows on the existing partition. I know the tiniest of something about computers and its all self taught so forgive my ignorance.

2. Subscribe to our Windows Secrets Newsletter - It's Free!

Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Thanks
    What operating system (which version of Windows) was initially installed on the computer, and was it an OEM installation? If it was Windows XP and the netbook came that way from the factory, you will likely need an OEM disc to do the reinstallation that will likely be activated automatically. But if you are not using an OEM disc and trying to enter the activation key pasted to the computer, that key will likely not work with any other type of disc.

If you are trying to install Windows 7, the same kinds of rules apply other than automatic activation...and if you are trying to use a key that has ever been used on any other computer, it is only going to work on that original machine no matter what you do.
    Last edited by leejosepho; 2014-05-28 at 16:30.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Its Windows XP and the netbook doesn't have a Disk Drive. I had to go into my Windows directory and find something in there to Re install windows. I don't remember exactly what I clicked but I'm sure I can find the article I used if you need it. What is OEM?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Link7590 View Post
    Its Windows XP and...I had to go into my Windows directory and find something in there to Re install windows.

What is OEM?
    OEM stands for "Original Equipment (as from the) Manufacturer", and something here might help:
    https://www.google.com/search?q=rest...oshiba+netbook

In my own experience with Dell computers, OEM installations do not require entering a key for XP even though the key pasted on the machine and the one entered automatically during installation do not match. Had you tried activation before trying to add a key?

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    If you have a purchased Win 7 install disk, contact MS and they should be able to help you with the activation if the install has never been used on another machine.