New Lounger
    Thanks

Can I restore default Windows keyboard shortcuts without a system restore?

I have somehow reassigned or deactivated the global keyboard shortcut <Ctrl> <Home>. It no longer performs any function in Office, Adobe Reader, Notepad, or any other application. I'm sure it was some inadvertent key combination I entered that did it.

All the information I've found in multiple sources says to do a system restore, which I would really like to avoid because it would undo a fair amount of changes to my laptop. If I caused the problem through keyboard entry, isn't there some way I can reset to defaults or specifically reassign the original function to this global shortcut without doing a system restore?

Thank you!

Dana+

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts
    What version of Windows?

Joe

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I'm sorry, Joe - I forgot the basic information: Windows 7 Professional 64-bit with Service Pack 1, running on a Dell Studio 1749 laptop with Core i5 and 8 GB memory

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts
    If you have software such as Microsoft's Intellitype or Logitech's Setpoint you should be able to easily change the shortcut key combination.

Joe

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I'd like to share an experience I had a few months ago on one of my friends computer who's <Ctrl> <Home> didn't work either plus some of the <windows key> combinations as a result of whatever his kids had done
    --- In his case I replaced his keyboard with a known good keyboard and everything returned back to normal
    --- Whether or not it was an anomaly, I really don't know but it turned out to be an easy attempt to fix his problem and it worked
    I had suspected his <Ctrl> & <Windows key> were defective but they did still work on some combinations
    Good luck