New Lounger
    Thanks

Doing a clean install of windows 7 home premium from usb

Hi ya'll, I'm trying to do a clean install, that is on a completely blank hard drive, of windows 7 home premium from usb. I can't open the disk drive without booting first so disks are not an option. I created the bootable usb fine but now get a message saying "unable to create or locate new system partition." The only solution online is to wait before plugging in the usb and I can't do that because it has to be in to boot, again there is NOTHING on the hard drive, it's blank. Is it possible to do what I'm trying or do I need an enterprise windows 7 machine to do it? I tried loading the drivers that came with my computer but he wouldn't even load and I don't think they're all there. If you have any ideas whatsoever they are appreciated.-Zero One

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Sudo15 For This Useful Post:

ZeroOne (2014-05-30)

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    What kind of computer do you have?

How old is it?

Does it have an optical drive?

Does it have EUFI or BIOS?

Can you get into the BIOS to set the boot order?

Is there an option on boot that will let you set the boot order without entering the BIOS?

Did you use the Microsoft Windows 7 USB DVD Download Tool to create the USB thumb drive?

If not what did you use?

Is your USB thumb at least 4GB?

Do you have another computer that you can use to test the thumb drive? You can boot to it, to make sure it works, without doing the install.

When you say that the hard drive is blank, is it new, did you format it, or did you use something like Derrick's Boot And Nuke?

Does the hard drive have an NTFS partition on it?

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Prescott For This Useful Post:

ZeroOne (2014-05-30)

Thanks
    You will need to BOOT your computer with your Windows 7 USB installation stick, then navigate to the menu
    where it will allow you to FORMAT that blank drive to NTFS.

In order to do the above you will needed to have;
    1 Created a USB stick with the Windows 7 installation that is actually bootable.
    2 Have your BIOS's boot settings configured to be able to boot to a USB stick.
    3 Have a hard drive that is recognizable in BIOS.
    Last edited by CLiNT; 2014-05-29 at 10:40.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Windows 8.1, 64 bit
    Motherboard: DX58SO2*Chipset: X58 Express/Intel ICH10*BIOS: SOX5820J.86A.0888.2012.0129.2203*Processor: Intel Core i7 CPU X 990
    GPU: Nvidia GTX 580*Memory: Corsair 12 GB, 4x3@1600*PSU: Corsair HX1000*Hard drives: REVO X2 160GB*OCZ VERT X3 120GB*5 mechanical storage drives (12 TB) total.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to CLiNT For This Useful Post:

ZeroOne (2014-05-30)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Prescott,
    Ok so I guess should say it BOOTS the usb fine and the install process starts normally. Then when it get to the actual install, the screen with my harddrive, it won't install and I get the error message mentioned. Let's see if I can answer your questions:
    I use a dell insperon that I upgraded to a quad core that was current in 2007, I believe is runs at 2.5 gigs a piece. It has a 600 gig HD and 6 gigs of ram.
    It does have an optical drive but I can't open it manually, it has no button. I need to install that functionality in software or it won't open.
    I believe it has BIOS and I seem to be able to access it fine but..
    For some reason it won't let me change the boot order. I have no idea why.
    Yes I did you the Microsoft usb boot tool and it worked fine the first time, no issues.
    My thumb drive is 16 gigs and it's new.
    Yes I can probably take the usb and test it but as I said it seems to be working fine to boot.
    I don't know what that tool is but it might very well be the answer, asuming I can run it. I strongly suspect formating is the issue.
    I just clicked the "format" button on the install screen and it seems to format but doesn't tell be if it's NTFS.
    Siiiiiiiggggh. LOL I've been dealing with this for about a month so thanks much for your help. Cheers.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    If you look at the optical drive drawer, you will see a pin hole which you can insert something like a straightened paperclip and it will spring open the drawer.

If there's nothing on the HDD to boot, then it may look at an inserted disk or USB and boot from that which is what it could be doing as you say the USB boots fine.

Does tapping something like F12 when you switch on give you the one off boot change order option ?

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Sudo15 For This Useful Post:

ZeroOne (2014-05-30)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Sudo15,
    Yes! I was able to open the cd drive with a paperclip and it installed the first time! I think the usb I made was for a system restore, not a clean install. Thank you!! Cheers, issue resolved.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Glad that helped