Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Number of queer things happen this week

I am on Windows 8.1

I have had a number of queer things happen this week

When I start the computer up sometimes it does not active the key board, not counting the cap lock there should be two lights on the key board.

But when it does not start properly there is only one light, the lights have a 1 and the other F, it is the 1 light that does not light, I cannot type in the password. If I reboot it [using the mouse] it will start OK both light will be on. Or if I reboot before I switch off it will start OK.

Now the other thing is really queer, some time when I come to run Google in Chrome its says “Google can’t find Google”

I have run ZoneAlarn virus checker, SuperAntispyware, System Mechanic, All OK Plus Ashampoo WinOptimizer it is still the same.

Any Ideas

Oldn

Thanks
    KEYBOARD
    Go into device manager, delete your keyboard, then reboot the system.
    It's a plug and play device. It will look for generic MS drivers and load them appropriately.[hopefully]
    Another potential issue (less likely though) is that your system may be booting faster than some of your drivers can properly load.
    Add a few more seconds of delay from the system's advanced properties section.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,457 Times in 1,326 Posts
    Oldn,

If your keyboard is wireless you might try a new battery. HTH
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi Clint

I went to the device manager found keyboard clicked on Key Board and got the option of uninstall Driver or Update Driver and as you said [Hopefully] I went for the update option and it said “The best driver software for your device is already installed.

So do you think it is still the driver?

Hi Retired Geek No it is not wireless it id plug in

Thanks for getting back to me

Oldn

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by oldn View Post
    Hi Clint

I went to the device manager found keyboard clicked on Key Board and got the option of uninstall Driver or Update Driver and as you said [Hopefully] I went for the update option and it said “The best driver software for your device is already installed.
    He said "delete". That's uninstall, not update.

So do you think it is still the driver?
    The symptoms that you described are consistent with a corrupted driver. The way to find out is to delete (uninstall) it and then reboot, so that Windows will reinstall it. Maybe it will work and maybe it won't, but you have to try it to find out.

Hi Retired Geek No it is not wireless it id plug in

Thanks for getting back to me

Oldn

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I went into device manager, delete the keyboard software, then I reboot the system.

Sorry but there was no change, still only one light, and the key board did not work, until I restarted the computer

Oldn

Thanks
    Your keyboard maybe broken or faulty, try it on another system, and try a different keyboard on your current system.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I have been a bought another key board but it is still the same, when I start the computer up sometimes it does not active the key board, so I cannot put in the password, but after a reboot it will work

Oldn

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Since the new keyboard also has problems, if it is a USB or USB Wireless have you tried a different USB port? Or is the keyboard using the PS/2 port [purple, mouse is green]?

You could be having a problem with the motherboard especially if you are also having issues with a USB Thumb/Flash drive. You can get a PCI or PCIe X1 Add-in card with USB ports instead of disposing of the computer, much cheaper. I use such a card to gain more USB ports when needed, particularly when not having the PS/2 ports on the motherboard for mouse and keyboard.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi Berton

Both keyboards were USB, I have tried more than one USB port on both keyboards.

Key board is using a USB I tried it on the extra USB ports I had put in and the one on the front of the box.

What is a thumb/flash drive?

Oldn

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    A Thumb drive or Flash drive is that thingy one stores files on, quite portable.
    http://www.sandisk.com/products/usb/drives/

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi Berton

Thank for getting back to me.

I had never heard them called Thumb drive, I have only heard them called memory sticks, no I have had no problems with Thumb drives.

It started first time today, but yesterday I had to re-boot

Oldn

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Just my 2˘:

1) Get ALL available Windows Updates
    2) Get ALL available updates from the computer manufacturer
    3) Get ALL available updates for any other devices that are installed (especially the keyboard!)
    4) Get ALL available updates for any programs that are installed

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks Usasma

I have done that early on. But it seems to have cured itself or something I did in the last few days.

3 days ago I run Ashampoo WinOptimizer on a full scan and I have gone straight in since.

Oldn

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by oldn View Post
    I have been a bought another key board but it is still the same, when I start the computer up sometimes it does not active the key board, so I cannot put in the password, but after a reboot it will work

Oldn
    Have a look at the following link and see if any of this is applicable to your situation;
    How to have num lock enabled by default on log on screen?
    DRIVE IMAGING

Latest Build:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast