5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Renaming several items in a folder

I have several files in a folder. I would like to rename all of them endiing with .2014 for Eg Br1 Fixed Assets.xls, BR2 Fixed assets.xls rename e to Br1 Fixed Assets.2014.xls, BR2 Fixed assets.2014.xls etc

I would like to know if there is a way I can rename several files at once
    Last edited by HowardC; 2014-05-28 at 00:58.

2. Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks
    I'd do it in a Command Prompt with a "for" loop. I'm sure you could also do it in PowerShell.
    for %X in (*.xls) do rename %X %~nX.2014%~xX

To test it add an "echo" before "rename".
    for %X in (*.xls) do echo rename %X %~nX.2014%~xX

Note: you need to change to the directory containing the file before running the command, e.g. CD C:\Users\Me\Documents

cheers, Paul

Thanks
    If you prefer a program to do this, check out the Bulk Rename Utility: http://www.bulkrenameutility.co.uk/Main_Intro.php

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi Guys

Thanks for the help. As i'm a Windows Novice and not very familiar with the codes, I am going to opt for the Bulk Rename Utility as suggested by JC Zorkoff

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi

Have downloaded the program, but not quite sure how to use this where I want to rename several filders in a specific Folder. It would be appreciated if you can advise me

Thanks
    I admit that the first display of all the option boxes in Bulk Rename Utility does seem daunting.

The first thing to do is click on the Help menu and select the Index. Then click on the Getting Started link in the other panel.

Then peruse the other sections of the help file as needed.

To find the set of files in a folder that you want to work with, use the tree display at the top left to select the folder.

Now you should see the list of files on the right.

Next select the Files you want to rename and select the actions in the boxes. In your case, go to the section Add (7) and in the box labeled Suffix type in ".2014" Now look at the new name column in the file list and you will see that xx.xls will become xx.2014.xls.

Now press the Rename button in the lower right.

You will see a confirmation window telling you to look at the new name column in the file display to verify that the name changes shown are correct.

If you are satisfied with the changes, confirm the rename action in the window. Otherwise cancel and adjust the changes, then try again.

The help file is your friend.
    Last edited by JC Zorkoff; 2014-05-29 at 12:25. Reason: Added detail

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for the reply and advice. Will test it on my home Laptop with some dummy files before using it on my work PC