New Lounger
    Thanks

Monitor does not turn on after waking from sleep since KB 2919355 Update

The problem is intermittent and occurs no matter how the computer is put into sleep mode; Metro/Start/Tiled or desktop screen timers; or power button icons, original, or the new one KB 2919355 Update added.
    The computer wakes normally, the modem connects to the internet normally, but the monitor screen remains black. To get the monitor on would require pushing and holding in power switch on computer shell case until computer turned off; and then push again to restart.
    All updates were installed, including KB 2939087. KB 2919355 Update installed good; and never received an error code. This desktop computer was all brand new in December 2013 and came with Windows 8.1 Pro 64-Bit installed.
    A few weeks ago I gave an advanced Microsoft senior escalation engineer complete control of the computer; and after two attempts totaling
    6 hours, he did not fix the problem. About 10 days ago uninstalled KB 2919355; and after 100 or so times of waking the computer from sleep; not a single wake from sleep problem has occurred.
    Since Microsoft is threatening no future updates after June 10th unless KB 2919355 Update is installed; I would like to install this update; but don't want to turn off, or always leave the computer on.
    Any help from the Lounge forums community would be appreciated;
    Sincerely,
    TimO
    P.S. Thanks ! Woody for your terrific book Windows 8.1 All-In-One for Dummies.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I don't know much about EUFI machines, but with BIOS exactly the same thing would happen with some video cards if you didn't have Repost video on S3 resume enabled. Maybe there's a clue there somewhere?

Thanks
    It looks like you've done a decent job narrowing it down to a specific update.
    What does the MS engineer have to say about this?

Have you tried restoring the default power plan settings?
    It might also be worth running the Sleepmode troubleshooter (powercfg -ENERGY), if it hasn't already been done.

Something I would consider doing at some point in the future if a solution doesn't present itself;
    Create an image of the system as it is now, then perform a clean install, or as clean as you can get from an OEM system.
    The clean install can serve as a test bed to rule out after-OS software and potentially errant drivers.

Even if you decide the clean install test isn't worth your while, creating an image will at least give you room to do some serious troubleshooting and tinkering.

If your current backup regimen allows you to restore your OS in 20 minutes or less, it might be worth pursuing.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Windows 8.1, 64 bit
    Motherboard: DX58SO2*Chipset: X58 Express/Intel ICH10*BIOS: SOX5820J.86A.0888.2012.0129.2203*Processor: Intel Core i7 CPU X 990
    GPU: Nvidia GTX 580*Memory: Corsair 12 GB, 4x3@1600*PSU: Corsair HX1000*Hard drives: REVO X2 160GB*OCZ VERT X3 120GB*5 mechanical storage drives (12 TB) total.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by tonyl View Post
    I don't know much about EUFI machines, but with BIOS exactly the same thing would happen with some video cards if you didn't have Repost video on S3 resume enabled. Maybe there's a clue there somewhere?
    That's a good point too. Something worth checking into.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Windows 8.1, 64 bit
    Motherboard: DX58SO2*Chipset: X58 Express/Intel ICH10*BIOS: SOX5820J.86A.0888.2012.0129.2203*Processor: Intel Core i7 CPU X 990
    GPU: Nvidia GTX 580*Memory: Corsair 12 GB, 4x3@1600*PSU: Corsair HX1000*Hard drives: REVO X2 160GB*OCZ VERT X3 120GB*5 mechanical storage drives (12 TB) total.