Thread: SQL Server 2008

New Lounger
    Thanks

SQL Server 2008

I am in the process of upsizing my Access dBs to work as front ends for a SQL Server. I have two up and running now but just the basics.

I am working in the dark and teaching myself as I go.

Is there a definitive "How To" or "Walk Through" source out there that will save me wading through multiple web sites,manuals, books everytime I need to learn the next thing?

For instance I have done a "Full" backup on my dBs but I don't know how to set them automatically. When I started my research I ended up with Jobs and Schedules info but more as an overview.

What I want/need is a step by step guide for the simple tasks. Hopefully a one stop shop. I know for every action in a microsoft program there are at least 6 ways to do it. I don't care at this point about the other 5, just need one. I will go back and fill in my knowlege on the whys and wherefores when time permits.

Any suggestions?

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,152 Times in 1,061 Posts
    SQL Server is a huge application, with a multitude of aspects that can be covered at various levels, so no, there is no single book or reference that can help you covering it all. There are a few good sites, where you can get tutorials, articles and even free books.

SQL Server Central is one of many good sites on SQL Server. It was the Stairways series of articles on multiple subjects and many free books, quite a few rather advanced, others not so much. They a couple that may help with backups, SQL Server Backup and Restore and Brad's Sure Guide to SQL Server Maintenance Plans.

HTH
    Rui
    -------
    R4

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thank You

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks
    I always use SQL Server Central when I'm stuck. And you can ask here.

cheers, Paul

[Edit] Snap!

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thank You

That's two out of two for SQL Server Central

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Where are you located? I did a presentation on upsizing from Access to SQL Server a couple of months ago at the Puget Sound Northwest Access Users Group. I'm currently touching up my own upsizer and working on an automated backup for SQL Server Express editions. Will be posting those on our Datarim website soon.
    Willie McClure
    www.datarim.com

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,152 Times in 1,061 Posts
    For backups, there is a nice free tool that you can use: SQLAndFTP. It will schedule your backups for you.

There are more featured, paid versions, at very reasonable prices, as well.
    Rui
    -------
    R4

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks
    I never bother with external backup programs unless using SQL Express. Full SQL has it all built in, and it's easy to check the Windows event log for failed backup jobs.

cheers, Paul

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thank You for your response.
    I admire the expertise and effort that goes into building third party software.
    Unfortunately budget constraints and a comfort zone based on knowing how to do things myself
    drives me into a DIY mode.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I was just using that as an example, I am trying to fill my own tool box with step by step directions so I can pass off duties when I am not available.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks
    Correct way to work.
    Always pass on the knowledge so someone else can do it. Then you get kudos for sharing and you have less work!

cheers, Paul