New Lounger
    Thanks

Question Windows 7 Will NOT recognize System Image from External Hard Drive

Dear Lounge Members / Visitors,

I recently split a primary partition and in the process accidentally made the Wrong partition ACTIVE and performed further extending and shrinking to adjust the partition size to my liking, all for an attempt to install UBUNTU to dual boot.

Upon restarting MY-DELL, it would not boot and displayed Boot Loader Error. I made several attempts and after a lengthy Trial and Error process was able to recover from a System Recovery CD that I prepared from another WIN7 Ultimate x64 bit Machine. It wouldn't discover the OS in (C) drive at first but after a couple of tries it did and restored my LAPTOP and I didnít lose anything as it restored it to the last successful BOOT state.

After successfully creating a complete System Backup Image, the following is what I need help understanding,

1. Replicated the above issue by booting from recovery CD and tried to look for System backup image from external hard disk and it will not recognize it. Changed the USB ports that the external is attached to and still nothing.
    2. Some have responded that it is because Windows backs up Systemís image as a .VHD file and not in .IMG file. So, must use 3rd party software. Downloaded EASEUS freeware and it created file with different which didnít get recognized using recovery.
    3. I am using 2TB Toshiba external hard drive and has a lot of games and software folders it along with Backup Image as the ROOT FOLDER. Should I partition this external hard drive with just the System backup image in the first partition and all else in second partition.
    4. How would I utilize the same External hard Drive for multiple machineís system backup?
    5. The easy and safe way to dual boot WIN7 and UBUNTU on DELL x64 OS

Would really appreciate all the help you folks can offer on these issues as I donít want to find myself in the same predicament.

Thanks in advance

SAMEER

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    I recently had to restore with a system image from an external HD and was prompted to first boot with a Repair disk to take me into the Recovery Environment and use the option from there to point it to my Seagate.

I think I probably would have also have been able to get to the Recovery Environment to use that option via F8 on boot and then Repair your Computer.

Last Known Good Configuration may also have been an option that would have given you the last successful boot.

While I only have system images for two laptops on the external HD, try the restore with the system image from the Recovery Environment and if successful, you shouldn't need to partition.

The system images are given the laptop names so it is easy to differentiate which is which.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks SUDO for your response.

My problem still persists as the Repair Disk is not able to pick up the image that I stored in my External HD using Windows Image Backup feature. So, I never get an option to point to that image on the hard disk.

What I don't understand is why the saved systems image is not getting recognized using recovery disk?? Should i use MACRIUM perhaps ?? or can it be that when running recovery through Repair CD it only looks for certain system image file type and mine (.vhd) is not compatible ??

Now, when the windows is running normally i can go to backup/restore and point to that image to store from and even go to a few restore points, that is no problem.
    I just don't wanna be stuck again where the PC wont boot and Repair CD will hang up again showing blank table and not list the last stored image on external hard disk.

Correct me if i am wrong but i am trying to restore the system image stored on External HD using a repair CD. If the only way to do that is to Boot into working Windows and than go into backup and restore and tell it to restore the last saved image from External HD than i get it. But i have looked around and that is not the case.
    What am i doing wrong to where it will not see that saved image on Toshiba External HD????

My Queries number 3,4 have been answered BUT 1,2,5 are still awaiting LOUNGES kind response

Appreciate the help

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    I'll leave the dual booting query to someone else but I think I need to clarify a method to restore using a system image from an external HD.

If you are unable to boot up outside of Windows by tapping F8 as you switch on (may be a different key or combo for Dell), you will need to change the boot order so that the machine boots from the Repair disk.

When booting from the Repair disk, it will look for the volume on C: - click on Next and then you will be presented with the recovery/repair options.

This is called the Recovery Environment (RE).

When booting using F8, select Repair your Computer - confirm/change keyboard - confirm User name and/or Password and when presented with the recovery/repair options, plug the external disk in.

Select System Image Recovery and it will come up with the most recent system image that was created on the external HD - if you have images for more than one machine on the external HD, then note that it is displaying the user name for the machine that you want to restore.

If you need to change the one that is being offered, click on Select an image - Next - where you will be presented with the user names of the other machines.

Select the appropriate one - Next - then follow any subsequent prompts.
    Last edited by Sudo15; 2014-06-02 at 04:30.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Dual boot Win 7 and Ubuntu
    This is a "QuickStart" explanation. There are many detailed explanations online on how to do this.

1. Before beginning, make sure that Win 7 boots correctly.
    2. Download and install EasyBCD.
    3. Download Ubuntu, burn it to disc, and boot into it to see how your system works. Try to correct any problems while using the "Live" version. In my case, I had a video driver issue that locked up my system.
    4. Download Gparted, burn it to disc, and boot into it. Use this to shrink your Win 7 partition and create the Ubuntu partition plus a Swap partition.
    5. Boot into Ubuntu and install it to the proper partition. Install the GRUB bootloader to the Ubuntu partition - not to the MBR.
    6. Boot into Windows and run EasyBCD. Add Ubuntu to the list of operating systems. Let EasyBCD install its bootloader.
    7. Now when you boot your system, you can select which OS to boot.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks NATE01PA,

I have a few questions to properly understand the above steps :

1. besides System Reserved (100MB) and OS DISK (C) drive I have data DISK drive (D) that i use to store all my data in and a new partition (G) that i am intending to use for UBUNTU which is 26 GB and a SWAP (H) 2GB would that be enough?

2. when downloading UBUNTU will it ask where the GRUB needs to be installed or would it replace the existing MBR with it since that is what happened in the first place and i think by default (correct me if i am wrong) it shows the system reserved drive to install the GRUB in. I must have hit enter and used the default prompt by mistake and than it would only boot into UBUNTU OS and not the WIN7.

3. When you say not to the MBR in STEP 5 do you mean not the System Reserved folder ??

4. when using EASYBCD i add the UBUNTU to the list of operating systems and than after installing the bootloader do i go back and hit the WRITE MBR key or not ?

Appreciate the advise

SAM
    Last edited by SAMEER_SHEIKH; 2014-06-06 at 17:12.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Dear NATE01PA,

I had posted my thread on 2 Forums and basically the bottom QUOTE was the reply for dual boot issue form the other Forum. Now this is getting really confusing.
    All i am intending to do is not run into any issues while i use the DUAL BOOT.

I have downloaded EasyBCD, Live UBUNTU on USB and i am intending to give it a try on a separate Formatted laptop

Will Appreciate if you could look at the following and see if it makes any sense to you cause it doesn't make any sense to me

Thanks
    SAM

If you want double booting, the Grub has to control the boot-loaders for Windows and Ubuntu. That means they have to be in the same place - typically the System partition.

I am not amazed that you got booting issues - I think I elaborated on that possibility.

Your best option is to install Ubuntu on a separate disk - separate from the Windows system. But you have to unplug the Windows disk during the Ubuntu installation. Then you select the OS you want to boot with the bootloader of the BIOS.
    Last edited by SAMEER_SHEIKH; 2014-06-06 at 17:31.