New Lounger
    Thanks

Win7 Image Missing Folders

I have some questions related to Driveimage XML Win7 partition images in regards the folders "Documents & Settings" (missing) and "Program Data" (partially included).

My concern is whether my Win7 image restore to the Win7 partition will get me back to that setup I tried to image. I've read that sometimes there's an boot issue when DIXML restores a Win7 image, but I can deal with that separate problem. Specifically for the image restore itself, does anyone know from personal experience (or specific info they can point me to):

1. When the restored Win7 boots up, are the Docs & Settings and Program Data folders automatically reconstructed in total by Win7, and if not, what are the consequences of that, and/or what should one do?

2. Is (are) there specific imaging program(s) that work differently than DIXML by including the Docs & Settings and Program Data folders in total into their images?

Any comments, advice, or places I can get more info about the above questions would be greatly appreciated.

Background:

Computer has WinXPSP3/Win7SP1 dual-boot, set up during Win7 install to an empty separate partition on the existing WinXP HDD. Both systems boot up OK. Single HDD has 4 partitions configured as listed below.

Partitions As viewed in WinXP
    1 (WinXP) Drv C
    2 (Progs) Drv D
    3 (Data) Drv E
    4 (Win7) Driv F

Partitions As viewed in Win7
    1 (WinXP) Drv D
    2 (Progs) Drv E
    3 (Data) Drv F
    4 (Win7) Drv C

I've used Driveimage XML 1.21/2.44 successfully for years to image and restore my computers' Win2000/WinXP partitions, so I used Driveimage XML 2.44 (or 2.50) to image Win7 partition from within WinXP, Win7, or UBCD4WIN. All the DIXML image operation ended with a success message upon completion.

After doing several images, noticed that images do not include the "Documents & Settings" or "Program Data" folders. When I took "ownership" of the Docs & Settings and Program Data folders and also went through the procedure for the subfolders, got an image with the Program Data folder but without some of the subfolders (ApplicationData/Desktop/Documents/Favorites/SartMenu/Tempplates), still no Docs & Settings folder. I thought that all imaging programs attempted to copy all files/folders, ignoring any Windows hidden/system/etc. or ownership settings.

I do understand the Win7 Docs & Setting folder is not a real folder, it's a "junction point", and the profies are now really in the Users folder. I think that anything that older software or I put there is automatically shown (actually located?) within the Win7 Users folder profiles.

My perception from my Internet readings is that the Program Data folder contains software settings from what would have been in the pre-Win7 Docs & Settings "All Users" profiles, but not sure my understanding is totally correct here.

=================================================

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks
    As you have multiple partitions you have probably not backed up some of the data. You would need to backup all disks.
    I break my backups into 2 parts, data and image. I backup my data every day with an incremental backup, then occasionally make an image of my boot disk. If I need to restore a file I use my data backup, if I have a major problem I restore the image.

cheers, Paul

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks Paul, for replying.

However, perhaps there's some misunderstanding of my original note's questions and background explanation of my situation.

- My concerns are only about my Win7 partition images that are missing the "Documents and Settings" folder and parts of the "Program Data" folder, both typically in the Win7 root directory, whether I should be concerned about that, and if so, what might I do about that.

- There are no issues with my backups or images of the non-Win7 partitions.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks
    How do you know they are missing? It could be that you have run an incremental backup instead of a full backup.

cheers, Paul

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Paul -

Driveimage XML is a small, simple program that only does a few things, e.g. create image, browse image, restore image. Not capable of doing incremental backup images. One of its nice features is that "browse" brings up a file manager-like view of the image folders/files so one can see exactly what's backed up, and allow for extraction of individual items. If it's not seen in the "browse" mode, it's not in the image files.

If you have an interest, see the links below for Runtime.org webpage about their Driveimage XML software, or the old but mostly still good Lifehacker article about it.

http://www.runtime.org/driveimage-xml.htm

http://lifehacker.com/326086/hot-ima...driveimage-xml

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks
    I still suspect the missing items are on another disk that is not in the image you are looking at.

cheers, Paul