Thanks

Question Windows XP SP3 wireless network issue using wireless hotspot on Android phone

Hello all,

I just got finished helping a friend get her older HP Pavillion dv8000 laptop back up and running with Win Xp SP3. All seems well, except, even though the pc CAN connect to her Samsung wireless hotspot on her Android phone, with the integrated wireless adapter in the machine, we simply cannot get connected to the Internet. The wireless icon in the tray, and the Network and Sharing center both show connected with excellent signal strength at 54 Mbps, but Chrome, Firefox and IE show all pages unavailable, with Chrome stating that there may be a DNS issue. I believe it is a simple setting somewhere I am missing, and when I had a Win XP machine some years back now, I recall having a similar issue, but don't recall exactly how I fixed it. I disabled the LAN connection, which at the moment she is not using, checked the protocols installed in the properties in Network in Control Panel (it seems like IPv4 is NOT installed, but v6 is?!) She does have a wireless USB adapter as well, but just yet we have not tried that, but I think I'm going to email her to give that a try, jic.

But, any ideas, especially considering it IS connected with WPA2, and is sending and receiving packets, however, sending many more than receiving?
    HP Pavillion Elite HPE-127 c-b Intel Core i5 750 2.67 Ghz 8 GB RAM one 2 TB Hdd, and one 3 TB Hdd with one 3TB external HDD Win 7 Home Premium 64, GeForce GT 220 1 Gig Vram; Sony Vaio laptop with Intel i3 330-M 2.13 Ghz 4 GB RAM 500 GB Hdd Win 7 Home Premium 64; not to mention an HTC One (the older model) and a Nexus 7(2013)

--------------------------------

Dogs Aren't Our Whole Life
    BUT
    They Make Our Life Whole.

jwoods
    IP4 is usually installed by default. If it's not there, install it.

Try manually assigning the DNS address pairs using one of the public sets...

http://pcsupport.about.com/od/tipstr...ns-servers.htm

Right click on the Adapter and select Properties. Click on IP4 and select Properties. Add the manual DNS entries.

IP4 DNS Entries.jpg

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    You can test connections without DNS. Enter "216.58.210.78" in your browser address bar and you should end up on the Google site.

cheers, Paul

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by survivor78 View Post
    ...checked the protocols installed in the properties in Network in Control Panel (it seems like IPv4 is NOT installed, but v6 is?!)...
    If you click Install... does IP4 come up in the list?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by tonyl View Post
    If you click Install... does IP4 come up in the list?
    Ahh, you got it. Actually there is an "add" button, and when clicking on that button nothing appeared. Unfortunately the pc is somewhat far away from my location, so for me to try some of these things either my friend will have to do it (she is quite capable), or I will have to drive out there again when I can. So, I tried to add any protocols that may need adding (she has a Win 7 pc right next to the XP pc, so we had, at least, something to compare to), but none showed up to install, that I recall.

Paul T: I will email her and see if we can bypass the DNS servers, thanks!

jwoods: Also will check out the link and pic you posted. I actually use OpenDNS, but it's been so long since I had to do any of this, especially on an XP machine... you know.

Again, thanks to all. Will update here!
    HP Pavillion Elite HPE-127 c-b Intel Core i5 750 2.67 Ghz 8 GB RAM one 2 TB Hdd, and one 3 TB Hdd with one 3TB external HDD Win 7 Home Premium 64, GeForce GT 220 1 Gig Vram; Sony Vaio laptop with Intel i3 330-M 2.13 Ghz 4 GB RAM 500 GB Hdd Win 7 Home Premium 64; not to mention an HTC One (the older model) and a Nexus 7(2013)

BUT

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    It is no longer safe to connect Win XP to the internet, and as your friend also has a Win 7 machine, there seems to be no reason to take the risk.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by georgelee View Post
    It is no longer safe to connect Win XP to the internet, and as your friend also has a Win 7 machine, there seems to be no reason to take the risk.
    Yeah but it's a work machine, so limitations on what she can do with it apply. She wants her own personal machine, but she may be able to purchase something new, and wants me to give her a hand with that so, a consultant I shall be.

BUT