Thanks

Check box selection in Windows Explorer

Ever since it was available I have been using the check box option in Windows Explorer to select files, and everytime I need to select a whole bunch I cuss that I use that, and vow that I need to ask in here if there is a way to select multiple files, (like using the shift key while not using the check box) while using the check box. Today is the proverbial straw that broke the camels back on this one.

Thanks
    John
    Thanks John
    Teamwork is essential; it gives the enemy other people to shoot at. (Murphy's War Laws #39)

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    To select files without using the check boxes, just use Shift (or Control) with a click to select files as normal and it should check the appropriate boxes for you:

This does not prevent you from using the Shift and Control methods. It just gives you another option.
    Use Windows Check-boxes To Select Multiple Files

Bruce
    Last edited by BruceR; 2014-06-02 at 14:44.

Thanks
    You are somewhat correct in that holding either the shift or ctrl key will allow you to select random files. what I want to do however is like w/o using Check boxes, select file #1 - #50 by selecting file #1 and then selecting file #50 and the ones in between will be selected as well.
    Thanks John
    Teamwork is essential; it gives the enemy other people to shoot at. (Murphy's War Laws #39)

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by t8ntlikly View Post
    what I want to do however is like w/o using Check boxes, select file #1 - #50 by selecting file #1 and then selecting file #50 and the ones in between will be selected as well.
    If you click file #1 (without shift) and then Shift-click file #50, that should work fine.

Check boxes do not interfere with other functions.

Bruce

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Ya, still my number one curse-able moments come from this simple process that works so well with the mouse in XP and not worth a duck's fart in W7 or W8.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    In Windows Explorer on WinXP, Vista and Win7, File Explorer on Win8, Mac OS X and Linux I click the first desired then holding down the Shift key click on the last and all between are also selected.
    Last edited by Berton; 2014-06-02 at 20:27.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks
    And to remove some in between you hold Ctrl down and click on the ones you want to remove.

cheers, Paul

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    In Win 7 (not sure if it will work in other versions) in Details view, if you hover in the area between the filename and the size/date/etc., if you click-drag down or up, it will select (fill checkboxes) of every file you pass over.
    In Icon views, it also works, but hovering in the area between the icons is harder. Hint: Do NOT start the drag on a file you already selected -- that will just drag the file to a new folder.
    HTH.
    Last edited by cosmlou; 2014-06-06 at 23:51.

Thanks
    If you want to hide the check boxes then this works for Win 7, 8 & 8.1

Click on the View tab The "Use check boxes to select items" checkbox is selected by default - uncheck it.

Is that what you want to do?

Thanks
    Thanks All
    Thanks John