New Lounger
    Thanks

Computers don't see each other - How?

My wireless router is a Mi-Fi, and both my laptop and desktop can connect to it and both can access the internet. (Thanks to the help I got here. But they cannot see each other.

Previously I had an ethernet network, and all my computers were connected using cables to a router and all could see each other. Now they cannot, and I haven't changed any settings. Wireless is new to me. Both the laptop and the desktop are setup as a "work network". I want to be able to share files and a printer.

Both computers are Win7 Pro X64.

Any help is greatly appreciated.
    Thanks,
    Sheila

2. Subscribe to our Windows Secrets Newsletter - It's Free!

Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    It's likely the Mi-Fi unit doesn't allow that. Do you have a model number?
    You may be able to make it work by using a conventional wireless router in front of the Mi-Fi unit.

cheers, Paul

New Lounger
    Thanks
    It is a HUAWEI, no specific model number. I am in Belize, Central America, and this is supplied by SMART, the local phone/internet provider.

If the unit doesn't allow me to share files, etc., is there a way I can do it with cables? I have several cat5 that I used with my ethernet connections back in the States. Someone thought a pass-thru cable might work?

Sheila

Thanks

You would want a CROSSOVER cable. The wires in the connector will not be in the same positions.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thank you - I will try the crossover cable.
    Sheila

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    I can't find out if the Mi-Fi unit supports local networking, but given it's function I suspect not. If you have a spare wireless router you can set it up to provide the wireless connection and the Mi-Fi unit will then provide internet access.

You do not need a crossover cable to connect modern PCs. They all have auto-sensing ports and will work with a standard network cable between 2 machines.

cheers, Paul

Thanks

Did not know that Paul, guess I'm not modern any more

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I tried the crossover cable, and it works!!. I didn't try a standard network cable, but I will, just to see if it would also work. I am happy to have a solution, and I thank everyone for their help and suggestions!!

Sheila