Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi Rui - Outlook will not get past the blue startup screen, - so tried using the Control Panel widget for Mail.
    Created a new profile (luckily that worked!)
    Created an account for one of my mailboxes.
    Selected the option to prompt for the Profile.
    Saved and then opened Outlook.
    Guess what!?? Outlook opened and it re-synched the account - hooray!
    I need to now re-connect the other accounts, and the archive PSTs and go from there....

Thanks for that tip...

What happens to the old profile and the old OST's? Can I delete them?

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,139 Times in 1,050 Posts
    The old profile will remain there. You can probably delete it once you are done, but not after your next full backup (just playing safe ).

I am glad things seem to be working now. It is obvious that something was corrupted in the existing profile, so you could have avoided reinstalling Office, as well.

If I remember well from your previous posts, you are using Office 365. That includes free support from Microsoft techs, so that can be an option if you feel desperate .
    Rui
    -------
    R4

3. The Following User Says Thank You to ruirib For This Useful Post:

Photorer (2014-06-03)

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi Rui

You have solved the problem, I think!
    I used the Control Panel Mail widget, and created a new profile, and set it to ask each time which profile to open.
    I then opened Outlook, and selected teh new blank profile. This then sent me on the way to setting up the email address, which I did.
    Guess what? I think it worked!
    I now need to re-connect my other email addresses and the archive PSTs.

What should I do with the old Outlook Profile?

Administrator
    Thanks
    You're on a rush there, hard to keep up .

Once you finish the setup, and you are sure you have everything back, you can delete the old profile. I would do it only after a full backup, just to be completely sure nothing will be lost.
    Rui
    -------
    R4

6. The Following User Says Thank You to ruirib For This Useful Post:

Photorer (2014-06-03)

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Rui - I think that your support is waaaaay better than MS.. I have had the experience using their support, and it took them 3 weeks and 5 techs and three re-installs (including a full Windows 8 restore) to fix the original installation of Office 365 for me...

I would have to say - GIVE THAT MAN A BELLS!

Administrator
    Thanks
    Glad everything is working now and I am happy to be of help .
    Rui
    -------
    R4

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    In the interests of completeness - how or why does an Outlook Profile get corrupted? I always make sure that Outlook has finished closing before hibernating or shutting down. Kind of wierd!

Administrator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Photorer View Post
    In the interests of completeness - how or why does an Outlook Profile get corrupted? I always make sure that Outlook has finished closing before hibernating or shutting down. Kind of wierd!
    I am afraid I don't know the answer to that. It should be said that a profile is just a set of Outlook configuration and other files. One of those files surely had issues and it seems it is not that an infrequent occurrence. I guess you'd need to know exactly which file was affected and how Outlook uses it, something I don't know.
    Rui
    -------
    R4

11. The Following User Says Thank You to ruirib For This Useful Post:

Photorer (2014-06-03)

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    OK Off to bed for me now, and leaving the machine running to collect and sync all that mail! (I really must use that magic delete button more often!)

Thanks so much for your help and most especially for fixing hte problem for me!

Administrator
    Thanks
    You're welcome .
    Rui
    -------
    R4

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Ok - so why do I keep getting a corrupted Outlook Profile? The newly repaired profile has now crashed again, and I am getting rather interesting swopping of mail addresses - I send from one mail address in Outlook, and it goes from another entirely! and sometimes it doesn't go!

The path to the data folder has both forward and back slashes..... Is this perhaps the cause?
    I re-created the accounts twice this morning, thinking this would fix matters, then I found the location of the PST, and deleted the hole folder. When Outlook re-started again, then it re-builds the message store - but still some wonky stuff going on.

Is there an alternative?

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Is there a known problem with Outlook 2013 (Office 365)? I have four mail addresses that I use (for different reasons) and keep them synchronised, then store them in local PSTs for archive purposes.
    This is now twice within 2 weeks that I have had to re-create a new Outlook Profile. This time, I deleted all the existing profiles, and am starting over....... Hopefully this will now work for a little longer than 2 weeks....

Administrator
    Thanks
    I am not aware of issues. I use Outlook with about 6 accounts, never had a problem - I am on Outlook 2013 as well.
    Rui
    -------
    R4

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12