New Lounger
    Thanks

Can't see shares / network

We have a windows 7 network with homesharing turned on. All computers on the network are supported by individual UPSs. On Friday there was a thunderstorm resulting in an extended power outage that lasted several hours. The UPSs shut down all of the workstations as we had planned. All our data files are stored on one central computer to facilitate ease of backup; we call that workstation, the "server".

On Monday, the "server" indicated it was not connected to the internet; none of the built-in troubleshooting tools were successful in resolving the connectivity problem. All of the other workstations could access the internet and see each other, but not the "server". The last error message of the day suggested the "server" connection to the modem was faulty.

Tuesday, I installed a new NIC and disabled the built-in ethernet connection. This changed nothing. I changed the ethernet cables. Still no internet connection, but the "server" is now visible (it can see and be seen by) to two of the other workstations; oddly the two workstations that can see and be seen are used by two individuals who have little use for the server other than the occasional file.

How do I restore accessibility on the "server" so that all workstations can see it and their files.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    I would try a system restore to before the power outage and attempt to connect via the old NIC if that hasn't already be tried.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks
    I wouldn't change anything on the server initially. Troubleshoot your problem first.

What IP address does the server have and is it in the same range as the workstations?
    Can you ping the server from the WS, and vice versa?
    Try a different port on the switch for the server.

cheers, Paul

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Took everyone's advice so far: IP address range is the same as the workstations. Can ping the server only from those workstations the server can see and which see the server. changing ports changed nothing. System restore to the restore point prior to the power outage resulted in more workstations finding the server but still no internet access from the "server" - no updates, no security updates, etc

So things are, in a way, better but not fixed....

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks
    Disable the server firewall while you test.
    Can the server ping the router? Can the workstations?
    Have you checked the DNS settings are all the same - I assume you use the router to assign IP addresses so everything should point to the router. This also means the default gateway and the DHCP server will be the router.

cheers, Paul

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quite surprisingly, more computers are visible to the server each day. The IP range is consistent throughout, gateway and DNS are uniform. Still no internet access - we are now doing a local backup, instead of backing up to the cloud; we are still without updates. Can't figure this one out at all....

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks
    Check the routes on the server. The default route should be the same for all machines, probably the internet router. I wouldn't expect to see any other routes unless you have something unusual set up.

cheers, Paul

New Lounger
    Thanks
    All machines have assigned IP addresses within the IP range defined by the router; all have the same gateway IP address; we use opendns and each machine uses the correct dns address. Server still has no internet access; win7 troubleshooting tools do not identify the problem. Still problematic with backup and security.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks
    Try resetting the IP stack with these commands.
    http://windowssecrets.com/forums/sho...l=1#post956090

cheers, Paul

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by WilfG View Post
    Quite surprisingly, more computers are visible to the server each day...
    Since your woes were triggered by a thunderstorm I would suggest running a chkdsk scan on your server's C:\ drive in case a "powerspike" from the thunderstorm has caused a problem for the server's Hard Disk Drive. Start/All Programs/Accessories right-click "Command Prompt" click (left) "Run as Administrator". In the Command Prompt window type "chkdsk c: /r" (without the quotes and assuming Windows is on C:\ partition).

Windows will ask you to restart, and the chkdsk scan will launch just after Windows begins to load. The repair scan might take anywhere between 30min to 1.5hrs depending on how much data you have on C:\. The chkdsk repair scan will attempt to recover corrupted data from any damaged HDD clusters and will add any damaged clusters to the HDD's "bad clusters" file. If it finds bad clusters (check in Event Viewer after Windows starts back up) you should follow up by running "sfc /scannow" (w/o quotes) from an Administrator-level Command Prompt to replace any missing/corrupted system files.

Even the best UPSs might not react quickly enough to a powerspike to prevent damage to a computer's HDD.

It is safest to shut down and unplug all equipment from mains power if a thunderstorm is imminent. If you have an ADSL Internet connection you should also disconnect your modem-router from the phone line. I have attended customers whose modem-router and/or even their computer was fried by a thunderstorm powerspike. And lightening strike from a thunderstorm several miles away can cause a powerspike through your mains power/phone lines.
    Last edited by Coochin; 2014-07-06 at 04:06.