Star Lounger
    Thanks

Larger AH battery in laptop?

Hi, I have an old IBM T23 laptop (don't laugh, it looks and runs like new). The main battery died about 6 months ago and I finally decided to try and see if I could get a new battery for it. I found quite a few on amazon and picked one that looked the same and was described to fit T20 thru T23. It was the proper size voltage wise (10.8V) and was 4.4AH. I ordered it and when it came I saw that it was 5.2AH. My question now is: Will the T23's system board / charger handle this larger capacity battery. I haven't yet put the new battery in, and won't until I'm sure it won't burn something up. I normally run it on the AC powerpack anyway. Is there anyone out there with knowledge of old thinkpads that can help me? Thanks.

Thanks
    I had this same issue with my wife's laptop. A friend (who runs his companies IT section) told me, and I quote:

"The difference in battery capacity shouldn't be a problem. It'll definitely last longer than the current one! At work I often buy replacement batteries with larger mAh numbers as that just indicates the charge capacity. As long as it physically fits and outputs the same voltage it'll be fine."

I doubt that it being an old thinkpad will make a difference.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks
    Newer batteries have higher capacity for the same physical size. Higher capacity ones will charge from a lower output charger without issue, though it may take a little longer. (Battery charge is a function of battery voltage, not input current. A low input current at the correct voltage will charge any capacity battery, within reason.)

cheers, Paul

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks very much to both of you, you've put me at ease about this.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    A note: most all Notebooks/Laptops are limited in what will fit in the limited room they have. Sometimes the higher-capacity batteries won't fit the cavity for the battery or it may be thicker than the original, prop the case up differently.