New Lounger
    Thanks

"Call us overprotective", but...

...but ...but we need to make sure you can receive a security code if you ever lose access to this account.

I have just gotten this message.

No, first it was>>>
    Because you're accessing sensitive info, you need to

And I wasn-t accessing "sensitive info" onlz was looking to the post!

I have no longer acess to the alternative mail I had given years ago, and it seems impossible to change it and giv a new one.I am warned that it si absolutelz neccesary.
    >>>>"Skip for now (6 days until this is required)"

What is it?????
    And I was just commending Hotmail because I found this beta/mail with Yahoo and Gmail so heavy (mail looks like a harmonica, I cannot choose the desired mail from longer conversation, forwarding always betrays previous conversation etc...(

and now I am in fact threatened that I will lose access to Hotmail, all of the sudden.

Damned!!!

Is there a solutin or I must kiss good bye Hotmai?

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    At the drop-down where you are shown the old email address, you can click and select the option to state that you no longer have that email account. They will let you replace it by a new one. I just did, for an account I use only occasionally.
    Rui
    -------
    R4

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ruirib View Post
    At the drop-down where you are shown the old email address, you can click and select the option to state that you no longer have that email account. They will let you replace it by a new one. I just did, for an account I use only occasionally.
    Well, I don't have that option that I no longer have that reserve account.
    I had the option I cannot access something, which I just clicked, because I was again prompted that I have 6 days to obtain THE CODE.
    Then I hade to enter another e-mail (which I intended to replace the previous with), and I receievd some note on that address with "you will be able to provisionally use your account fr next 30 days etc" and they said
    they would send me mail tomorrow with further steps.
    I hope they will send it n this new reserve address not that old one.

And it all sounds very irritating and susspicious.
    Was it really Microsoft?!
    Art they so worried for us or in the name of someone else?!

I am gonna switch to .ru addresses, I am so mad right now my main mail was hotmail.
    It's like one had trouble in the bank and he swears he would hange it just to get some satisfaction, but the officials know:: it doesn't last long.
    But I think I am fed up with it now.
    I have a feeling someone had phished my info.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    Seems your started the process to replace the old email, anyway.

Irritating it may be, but it is definitely Microsoft. I guess they prefer to be a bit annoying and ensure that your account will not be easily overtaken by someone else. There are examples on the web of people who lost their accounts because someone hijacked them. Microsoft is only trying to ensure that doesn't happen to you and there is no easy way to do that. I have associated my mobile with the account and I get codes sent over SMS to authenticate, whenever I try to change sensitive info (passwords, etc). I find it reassuring, really. What they are trying to do is to offer you, the account owner, multiple fallback mechanisms to make sure any potentially damaging action to your account is done by you - in this case, any rogue attempt to change the secondary email address won't be effective until 30 days. If the change was from someone trying to gain access to your account, this would give you enough time to prevent it.

IMO, annoying as this may sound to you, it's actually a good way to protect you as the account owner. I'd rather have this protection than not be bothered by them and risk being unable to access my account as the result of malicious action or simply an error of my responsibility (like failing to update my secondary email address).

Unfortunately, we live at a time where online security is something any responsible provider cannot overlook.
    Rui
    -------
    R4

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I did not get hotmail instructions on that other mail, which then means they had sent it to the older mail, to which I hve no longer access.

Bytheway, Yahoo seems to be overdemanding when I travel and want to log in in severeal Yahoo mails I have - "Yahoo doesn't recognize the device" etc. and after boring pesky jumping letters I had to type in, I get my securtiy question.

But it happens more and more often that Yahoo doesn't accept my answer and I KNOW it is the right answer.

Right now 2 of my mails are closed for 12 hours. I typed the right answers.

I can only hope I would get access when I get home, and hope that Yahoo will "recognize the device".

An I just found out that Yahoo deleted one of my Yahoo mail acounts due inacitivity. I think (but I can't remember for sure), that this mail was connected to that other mail which I lost...

Oh it's so annoying, anyway beta-mail sucks and I will kiss goodbye those free mails. Nothing is free.